_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Voyager: August Releases
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC

There are some new detail sets now available from Voyager that will provide some extra details for the likes of a T-90, T-64, BMD-1, M3A3 and more.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 11:00 PM UTC
I really do like the 1/35 etch detail this company put out - I have several - but I question the value in having stuff like ERA blocks in 'multi fold' etch flat parts rather than plain and simple injection molded blocks? Those ERA blocks in the new 'Meng' and Trump "T-X" series kits are very well molded (IMHO) Given the scale thickness is not an issue/advantage in etch (they are made into a solid block shape anyway) what advantage over kit parts is there in folding up hundreds or etched blocks just to make a box shape?

This is not a mischievious question but rather, a sincere enquiry and I would welcome feedback from those who have applied these ERA (etch)blocks to their own models for their own opinions/experience of this method.

In essence - Do they add detail or are they just a gimmick to 'pad out' the set?

Gary
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Gary,

I'm no expert on Russian tanks by any means, but I think PE parts come closer to the real ERA blocks because they are not solidly block-shaped. Check out the detail images in this thread.
You can see that the real blocks are folded just like the PE parts, with the result that there are some gaps. So if you're after full realism in scale, Voyager or E.T. Models ERA PE is a viable option.
At least that's what my amateurish understanding is

Johannes
 _GOTOTOP