_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tasca 1/35 M4A1 Sherman finished
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 07:07 PM UTC
Hi guys.
It's been a while since I posted my last model.
I build Tasca's 1/35 M4A1 to participate in an AFV contest held by a local hobby shop.
Well, I got nothing at all and no one seemed to care.
Is it THAT bad?
Any comments are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 10:32 PM UTC
Frankly I don't see how anybody DIDN'T see this at all. It's great, in my opinion. How'd you get the speckling along the tank?
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC
Thank you Mike. I don't mean to be grumpy sore loser but they love German tanks so much in Japan which makes me kinda loner around here you know

Anyway, the mud spots are pigments mixed with acrylic thinner. Mix some diferent color pigments as you want and add some axrylic thinner till it gets mud like. Dip a used brush into the mud. While it is wet, hold it in front of the tank and splash it with empty airbrush.
Dip and splash.
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC
Good Sherman.

I think you've got no honor, just because it's a Sherman. It's one of this models which is not kicking anybody from the chair. So many of them
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 01:51 AM UTC
Great job! Nice photography, too. I completed my first Tasca Sherman a few months ago; they're quite the build, aren't they? They leave you wanting to build another. I'm thinking an Easy Eight is next...
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hello and thank you for your comment ejasonk!
I guess you are right. I'll try harder next time. Maybe with another Sherman or other US armor. I'm thinking about modern ones. Abrams or Bradley.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. My next build is going to be that new Tamiya Easy Eight too.
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hello wildbill426!
Yup, it made me spent so many sleepless nights. The suspension units need many improvements like holes, rivets and so on. I have almost every kit tasca released and every single one of them is half built. Brad Pitt's FURY makes me want to go to Easy Eight next just like you
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 02:48 AM UTC
Tadakatsu: very nice work! Your T-48 Rubber Chevron tracks look worn down. Are they?

Did you alter the Tasca supplied vinyl tracks or did you replace them with another maker's set of tracks?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC
very nice!
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hi ericadeane!
I used MODELKASTEN SK-48. It is a bit pricy and takes a lot of time to build but worth it I think. To make the pads look worn and damaged from running, I used sandpaper and metal file to take some edge off. Then I scratched each pad with a knife to avoid unnatural and uniformed damage. Reenact tank photos gave me some good hints.
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hello and thank you easyco69!
"Currahee!"
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good Sherman.

I think you've got no honor, just because it's a Sherman. It's one of this models which is not kicking anybody from the chair. So many of them

Excuse me, but I beg to differ. Just because there are so many modellers that build Shermans and other US/Allied subjects, it doesn't mean that we should be ignored or subjected to snide commentary. Many times I've seen and heard such comments as "Oh, ANOTHER Sherman" at contests and displays, but almost never "Oh, ANOTHER Tiger, or Panther, or SS MG-42 Team with Pointing Officer...

Yes, there IS a bias, and the model manufacturing companies, especially DRAGON, are just as narrow-minded. Thankfully, a few other manufacturers have started paying more attention to WWII US/Allied subjects, Notably, BRONCO, HOBBY BOSS, MERIT, MIRROR MODELS, and a few others...

There are PLENTY of INTERESTING US/Allied subjects that haven't been tackled yet, and probably never will be, just because it's EASIER to take a basic Pz.Kpfw.III and add or subtract a few parts here and there to create an "entirely new" Pz.III kit...

In conclusion, please don't ignore or snub a modeller just because he or she prefers to model subject matter other than WWII German stuff...
Removed by original poster on 09/05/14 - 16:05:14 (GMT).
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
Looks fine to me - nice M4!
Gary
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hello Dennis.
Nice to know there is someone out there who knows what it's like to be a US armor or fighter aircraft buff. Sadly, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one. Almost every month I see some model magazines saying "Hey, great news German AFV fans! Another Tiger I kit is comming!", "Take a look at this amazing Pzkwhatever kit review!", "Zero fighter special!", "How to build battle ship YAMATO". That is what they show us all the time. OK, they maybe do some work on allied stuff in every 5 or 10 years but even then they almost sound like "Alright, let's talk some ENEMY because we are fair" Especially in Japan.
I don't want to start a war or some argument here but things haven't changed much since I was a kid and that still makes me wonder what to show to all those people out there. In spite of it all, I will not change what I build and keep on having fun doing it.
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thank you redcap!
Nice to know you like it
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
Enter it in an AMPS show where there can be multiple golds. This is a fine job on a great kit. Love Tasca Shermans.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi, just wanted to say I think it looks great, love the tracks, they really stand out and look fantastic. If you're looking for any criticism, Id say the sandbags don't really live up to the rest of the build, could have more "drape" to them over features perhaps? you could also paint the tools in wood/steel to add interest, or just weather them to show the green worn away.
Really nice build!
Eric.
Dazzyboyz
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi
You have made a nice model there! My constructive critique would be the following:

The tracks ad running gear are great it's when you look at the top of the tank, that IMHO could use a little more finishing off.
A dark pin wash in dark green or black on th upper of ten hull and turret.
Darken the the end of the gun barrel and maybe metalize it just a bit.
Flatten darken the star on the turret.
Finally scuff the ara around the hatches a little, then it would stand out more.YOU DID ASK,
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hello Bill.
Thank you for your advice. I've heard about the show and I'll look into it. I really do love tasca shermans too!
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi Eric.
Thank you for your comment and you are right. Ah, the sandbags. I was little too scared to push those putty to the hull because they are close to photo etched light guards. And like you've mentioned, tools need some extra touch too. Thanks again!
msz006c1
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hello Darren.
Thank you for your comment and sharp observation.
Very helpfull advice indeed. Some wash and chippings comming right up!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Dennis.
Nice to know there is someone out there who knows what it's like to be a US armor or fighter aircraft buff. Sadly, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one. Almost every month I see some model magazines saying "Hey, great news German AFV fans! Another Tiger I kit is comming!", "Take a look at this amazing Pzkwhatever kit review!", "Zero fighter special!", "How to build battle ship YAMATO". That is what they show us all the time. OK, they maybe do some work on allied stuff in every 5 or 10 years but even then they almost sound like "Alright, let's talk some ENEMY because we are fair" Especially in Japan.
I don't want to start a war or some argument here but things haven't changed much since I was a kid and that still makes me wonder what to show to all those people out there. In spite of it all, I will not change what I build and keep on having fun doing it.

Hello, Tadakatsu!!! Well, we are certainly in agreement here. Frankly, I haven't been very excited over all of those repetitive DRAGON Pz.IIIs, StuG.IIIs, Sd.Kfz.10s and Tiger Is or all of those HASEGAWA 1/48 Bf.109s and A6M5 Zeroes. They are just the same old stuff with just a few new parts and a new decal sheet added- To me, it seems like just a LAZY COP-OUT!!! DRAGON could have released a Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.A, with the 5 larger road wheels, and they missed the boat on the Ausf.B, C, and D. It took MINIART to have the courage to gamble on releasing the initial Pz.III variants. But, noooo, DRAGON just keeps cranking out the the basic Ausf.E with minor changes and a few new parts. The same goes for their Tiger I kits.

I DO LIKE the idea of DRAGON re-releasing their EXCELLENT 1/35 M1A2 SEP with the new V2 parts, which is basically a "CROWS" for the commander's position and a new armored shield for the loader's position. It would be nice to have a USMC M1A1 variant, as well. I'm no Abrams expert, but a Heavy Common or an HA (?) would do as well.

My main interest in 1/35 stuff is US/ALLIED Armor and Softskins. Ultimately, my goal in 1/35 scale is to portray the evolution of American Armor from before the First World War to the present day. The most numerous US tanks in my collection would have to be the M4-series Mediums. Yes, I know that that is contradictory to what I stated before, but in my opinion, there are more obvious differences in-between the various versions of the US/Allied M4 Mediums to warrant building the major variants of this famous vehicle.

Modern armor fans have been clamoring for the M1A2 SEP to be re-released for quite some time, and I sure am glad that DRAGON, for once, is doing it right.

I also agree with you about the repetitive articles in the modelling magazines. How many times do we need to read about Tiger Is on the Russian Front in white winter camo??? IT'S BORING... Instead of these magazines calling themselves Military or AFV Something-or-other, they should change their names to Tiger I or Pz.III Monthly!!!

OK, enough ranting. I'm glad that I don't feel so alone in my opinions on this subject...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 01:08 AM UTC
Dennis: I don't know what the current mix is in Japanese language magazines -- I let lapse my my only subscription (Armour Modelling). However, I've actually noticed a move away from German subjects in the English language magazines. Lots of more focus on Allied (especially the interesting new releases + WW1) and modern stuff.

Indeed, in a very unscientific review, I just pulled out the three most recent MMIR magazines. There were nine articles in each issue. Each issue carried ONE WW2 German article. That's three out of twenty seven articles or roughly 11%. Given what's being sold on the market, it's a seriously UNDER representation of the marketplace, IMHO.

Also, it's not as if the magazine editors are shelving good, non-German WW2 articles. I know for a fact that editors are BEGGING for articles. If you feel there's still too much of a German-WW2 focus, submit or encourage your friends to submit articles. There's no conspiracy to keep non-German-WW2 articles out of the printed magazines.

Very nice Tasca M4A1, Tadakatsu! Bravo!!!!
 _GOTOTOP