_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman questions
n_tuma749
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 16,777,215 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 02:12 AM UTC
Would it be possible that a Sherman built in July 1943 would have had the extra armor installed in the factory? Were any American Locomotive Company-built Shermans, especially those produced in the summer (May-August 1943) ever shipped to Italy?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 04:00 AM UTC
According to "Son of Sherman" factory applique armor began in Aug '43.

ALCO made 150 M4A2s from the Sept '42 until April '43. Since most recipients of the early runs of M4A2 were the UK and commonwealth allies, they certainly appear in the MTO. It appears that all ALCO made M4A2s had the DV glacis.

ALCO produced the M4 and M4 Composite from Feb to Dec '43 (total 2150 tanks). It appears that the M4 Composites were only in the last production order of 300. Thus, we know that at least 1850 non-composite M4s were made by ALCO. Also knowing that there were only 3 factories making M4s, I'd say it's likely that MTO units rec'd ALCO M4s. For definitive proof, I'd say trawl through MTO pictures of M4s, searching for ALCO features.

Here's a discussion of ALCO made M4s and M4A2s. http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4alco/m4alco_variants.html

Can I ask what's driving you to ask this question? What are you hoping to model or have answered? You seem to have very defined manufacturing questions based on variants and features. Have you gotten a copy of "Son of Sherman"? Maybe to to your local library and seek a copy of Hunnicutt's "Sherman" through inter library loan as well. Good stuff.
n_tuma749
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 16,777,215 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 04:12 AM UTC
I'm looking to build Dragon's M4 Normandy (#6511) as a tank serving in Italy. I understand the features of that kit best represent an ALCO M4 built in the summer of 1943, and was wondering if it could fit the timeframe I'm looking for.
 _GOTOTOP