_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint removal
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 08:22 AM UTC
I was just looking at the latest releases from AK. There's a paint remover in there. It suggests it can be used for spot paint removal. I've used oven cleaner to strip paint clean from a model before, but I wouldn't fancy using it for localised paint removal.

is there a method for removing hard dried paint from specific areas?

thanks for your help

Andy
barkeet
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi,i used Bref(Henkel) oven cleaner foam with succes.Im not sure if its available in youre country.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,i used Bref(Henkel) oven cleaner foam with succes.Im not sure if its available in youre country.

Did you brush it on the paint you wanted to remove?

Thanks
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Andy
few days ago I decided to strip paint from a cupola. I screwed up the camo and had to do it all over again. It was primed and painted with Vallejo so I guess the formula of the paint should be similar to AK.
Oven cleaner didn't even soft the paint so I tried the isopropyl alcohol (90%) and it did the job. Dipped the cupola in if for few mins and attacked the paint with old toothbrush. Went off relatively easy. I even tried the spot removal with a q-tip and it worked too.
Oh yeah, if u work with isopropyl alcohol in such manner where your hand will probably be in constant contact with alcohol, do wear gloves. Trust me. I wasn't. Well, lesson learned the hard way.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
What type of paint do you want to remove ?
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What type of paint do you want to remove ?

it's a mix of Tamiya, lacquer primer, enamel, hairspray and future.

It's a wooden side panel to a cargo bed. My problem is that I'm VERY pleased with the inside of the panel, but the outside didn't go quite right. So ideally I don't want to dip the panel, hence I'm a asking about brushing oven cleaner on! I can't repaint because the graining to is very shallow and it's flooding out already.

Wish I hadn't messed up the panel in the first place, but there you go.

Thanks for your help

Andy
Lisec
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 06:58 PM UTC
I use Mr.Color thinner for stripping paint. Carefully brush it on and wipe
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hi Andy,

You should just be able to use the tamiya lauquer thinner, it will remove nigh on anything trust me I know!!

Even model master paints & underlying vallejo primer if you put enough on lol

I have used it to strip nearly all the paint brands...OMG does that sound bad!!

Cheers Mike
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:48 AM UTC
I agree with Mike, although I use generic lacquer thinner. I have not found anything that won't strip, except self etching primer.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks for your help lads
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 04:35 AM UTC
What product can be used to remove AV Vallejo paints? Tamiya paints can be removed with Simple Green but it has no effect on Vallejo? I will order this to give it a try. Thank you.
Thanh.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
For acrylic I use 70-99% rubbing alcohol or windex, for enamel I use mineral spirits carefully.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi to Andy and all of you,

i have written an E-Mail to AK-Interactive about their new Paint Stripper. The Support is good and the answer was comming fast:

"You can use this formulation with all brands of paints, no problem if is acrylic or enamel.
Remember to wash the figure with water and soap before retire the paint to remove the rest of product and avoid contamination for the new paint"

I have testet normal desinfactant for Hands on an Bravo-6 Resin Figure. The Figure was painted with Vallejo Acrylic Model color without varnish on it. I just want to remove an old wip paintjob looking bad and it worked very good and fast.

I had use some Drops of the liquid on an Q-tip and the paint went off easily. The Figure in itself or parts with fine Details were not damaged or affected.

I don´t know if the desinfactant will react or better damage plastic models but it works great with Resin Figures.

So you pay about 7,10€ for an 500ml bottle of normal desinfactant and 6,50€ for an 100ml bottle from AK´s Paint stripper.

I know that the manufactures say that it is the best Thing if you use the product "especially" desigend for modeling but the mixture is nothing completly new. It could be that the mixture is adapted for use with scale models and does not affected the different materials because it is less aggressive.

So that is all i can add to the discussion

MichaelD413
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:34 PM UTC
I'm a fan of the new AK paint stripper...great product...
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hello,

for me, the ultimate weapon regarding removing old paint is DOWANOL PM (Methoxypropanol PM).

http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/de/loesemittel--chemikalien-und-hilfsmittel/methoxypropanol-pm-70920.html

It strips paint within seconds, deals with all kinds of paint and won`t attack plastic or brittle up resin. You can easily apply it with the brush on local areas only if you don`t use to much. The only case where some extra work was needed was some decals double-sealed with future. But a stiff old brush also took care of it. Normaly it strips paint within seconds and a whole model can be cleaned within 10 minutes with a soft brush/Q-tip and some water for final clean up. I won`t mind buying any extra model paint stripers as the price should be unbeatable with only 7 bucks here in Germany for 1 litre. To be honest: I don`t mind paying some extra-bucks for quality. But, well, it`s a paint remover. It removes paint. 100ml. for 5 Bucks or more?? Not my thing.

Best Regards

Dennis
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
I have had good results with concentrated cleaning fluids for ultrasonic cleaners, of butyl alcohol base. I use the type Hahn C-5 fluid. It is able to remove all paints except 2C automotive clearcoats, and does not attack plastics or resins used in models.

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 06:59 PM UTC
After having many stripping jobs go horribly wrong, my advice is to just paint over it!
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
I used Tamiya Lacquer thinner to remove a AV Vallejo paint and it turns to sludge. A very messy job but got the job done. Previously, i used Windex and Simple Green but it dit not have any effect. I guess I just use Tamiya and Gunze paints then.
Thanh.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 11:23 AM UTC
Has anybody tried using Lifecolor's paint cleaner ?
pcavender
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
I was in the process of painting my Skoda PA-II with the suggested camo colors (acrylic paints) and MESSSED the paint job even though I used Silly Putty to outline the patterns and an airbrush to apply the paint. So I thought I would remove all the paint last night and start over. I had used diluted Windex before on a figure and was able to remove all the paint. So that's what I used last night. Didn't even touch the paint. I used Simple Green, 90% alcohol, my wife's fingernail polish remover and even oven cleaner. Lacquer thinner did soften the paint making a gooey mess. So I picked up a bottle of AKI Paint Stripper # 186 from the local hobby shop. Worked perfect. A little expensive from $9.00-$12.00 depending on the source. Now the model is drying and I will apply the primer coat again.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 02:18 AM UTC
Automotive break fluid works extremely well. It is non oily and can be used over and over again. I usually soak the model in a shallow plastic container overnight and the next day just rinse with warm water. Works with enamels or acrylics. CAUTION do not use with resin as in my experience it causes some resins to soften and become somewhat rubbery.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi all,
Resurrecting this topic to pose another question regarding paint removal. I used a store brand rattle can primer on a kit. I got a grainy surface texture I'm not happy with. This thread includes several methods for removing paint; over cleaner, 90% isopropyl alcohol, window cleaner, auto brake fluid, etc. I haven't tried any of these methods before.

My question is this: I puttied and sanded several places on the kit prior to priming. Will using these methods to remove the primer affect the putty I used to fill the gaps? I used Tamiya white putty.
TIA
John
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:37 AM UTC
What matters is the formulation of the various substances (plastic, resin, metal, primer, paint, varnish etc) rather than the company or range name that happens to be on the container.

Given that formulations vary (including over time from the same manufacturer) I'd be inclined to duplicate the condition of what you want to strip on something unimportant (like plastic spoons or an old model or section of sprue from the one you need to strip) and experiment on that first.
 _GOTOTOP