_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Academy: M10, M36, and K2000
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC

An announcement from Academy Models has some re-releases on the way with new parts.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 02:13 AM UTC
WOW! I'm really excited by that K200A1 announcement!

Cheers,

Christophe
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC
I hope the M10 has ALL new parts!
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
They would say "all new tooling" in that case.

Cheers,

Christophe
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would not hold my breath on that...
Let's better think about a single new sprues' part, or two.
I hope I'm wrong. but......
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
The K200A1 is a really great kit with a full interior. It is another variant of the venerable M113 and one of Academy's unsung gems.
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

According to HobbyEasy:

"Feature :

1. New molded part of upper hull, turret, transmission cover etc

2. Cartograf decal and photo etched included

3. Reproduction of M10 “Early version" turret"
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! I'm really excited by that K200A1 announcement!

Cheers,

Christophe

Oh wow, they just slipped that one in since this morning!

I'm with you one this one.

Jeff
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was being a little facetious, but it would be nice! Probably just new decal sheet.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
I doubt the M10 has all new parts, probably a new sprue of parts & some PE. I have the M10 Duckbill in my stash, it's a good kit with interior + ammo. Not like the AFV Club kit, no ammo. The WW2 Allied Academy kits don't come with PE..so, that would be a new deal...I wonder which company is supplying the PE? I'll be honest, I like Academy products..you get your $ worth & the price is cheap. The detail is good. You can get their German WW2 armor kits for $23 , if you haven't tried them..giv'm a try. The newer kits are ok, I built the Hetzers, they are ok but the figures are not so good. I haven't built the King Tiger but I imagine it's ok too, but I would change the tracks for sure. I don't think it would be better then a Dragon King Tiger though.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Yeah, I built the Academy M10 ( appears to have slightly less faults than AFV, but has different faults of it's own!) with Eduard PE, and stowage from various manufacturers. It's not a bad kit, but a totally new re-tool would be appreciated by Bronco, or Dragon (but not Black Box !!)
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:46 AM UTC
David and biggles: I can be as skeptical as the next guy but let's see what that tempting announcement on the Hobby Easy page really means. It clearly says NEW upper hull, turret and transmission.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David and biggles: I can be as skeptical as the next guy but let's see what that tempting announcement on the Hobby Easy page really means. It clearly says NEW upper hull, turret and transmission.

I'm with you and welcome this, the biggest problems seem to have been addressed so we may have first class M10 after all which will be a good thing and I'm certain they will follow on with more version. I find the Academy M10's a great source of rudimenry interiors and suspension parts for various conversion sets and kits.
I'm really looking forward to it
Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:09 AM UTC
Personally, I don't mind if they use the same old lower hull parts, interior, or even the suspension - new suspension units and drive gears can be sourced from Tasca or Dragon kits. A new tooled upper hull and corrected turret WILL make it look like a brand new kit. It's the outside you see first! If these are marked improvements (with no new errors!), I'll be sure to buy one. Just have to wait for the reviews.
superiol79
Visit this Community
Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 04:21 PM UTC
http://mmzone.co.kr/mms_tool/mt_view.php?mms_db_name=mmz_forum&mms_cat=[%EC%A0%95%EB%B3%B4]&no=317034
superiol79
Visit this Community
Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 04:27 PM UTC
For M10, green parts are newly tooled while the grey parts are taken from the old tooling. They are the opposite for M36B1, where only white parts are new.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 04:44 PM UTC
I'm up for either the M36B1 or M10. I was just looking at AFV's M10.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For M10, green parts are newly tooled while the grey parts are taken from the old tooling. They are the opposite for M36B1, where only white parts are new.

Are you sure the green M10 parts are new, and not the other way? Looks pretty much the same as the older one, whereas the grey parts look crisper. If this is all they've improved, it's not so exciting anymore. Do the MiniArt figs come with the kit? They are nice, but I would have preferred a combat crew in action - loading, firing, etc. Converting a crew to fit is difficult due to the cramped and awkward spaces.
superiol79
Visit this Community
Korea / 대한민국
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 02:40 AM UTC
The description on the newly tooled parts is what is written in Korean on the link. Academy's older M10 had some dimensional issues so it was hashly bashed by serious modelers. (The only M10 that has correct dimension is Tamiya's 1/48 kit)This is why the green parts on the photos are newly tooled, not the grey ones. MniArt figures were supposed to come with the kit's limited edition but since the post was written pretty long time ago, there might be some changes.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 06:17 AM UTC
Well, OK. Just so long as they've corrected the turret dimensions, although the upper hull section doesn't really look like much of an improvement over the previous M10.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 06:23 AM UTC
Just about perfect timing.... I have my "1st generation" M10 almost ready for paint.
Murphy's Law of Modeling in action.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, OK. Just so long as they've corrected the turret dimensions, although the upper hull section doesn't really look like much of an improvement over the previous M10.

And what was wrong with Academy's upper hull? I thought it was the AFV one that had the glaring dimensional errors. Academy's was almost right. As it is they claim to have corrected it which is good news.
I'll wait until I have the kit before I comment further but if they have corrected what they say then I for one will be a happy camper
Al
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And what was wrong with Academy's upper hull? I thought it was the AFV one that had the glaring dimensional errors. Academy's was almost right. As it is they claim to have corrected it which is good news.
I'll wait until I have the kit before I comment further but if they have corrected what they say then I for one will be a happy camper
Al

Academys upper hull had rear slope too steep by about 10 degrees, I think that this was due to Academy's FDA having the slope too horizontal and in turn the whole FDA too long by some milimeters, 1 or 2, to keep the overall lenght they fiddled with rear slope.

Some people say it also had all other angles off, but I was not able to spot anything overly glaring comparing it to the drawings in Militaria's M10 book. I corrected my hull by replacing FDA with PanzerArt item and redoing rear upper plate slope, also dropped it by about 1mm relative to hull floor.

Turret is more difficult shape to measure and correct properly, judging from the photos, new turrets profile looks much better, unfortunately the mantlet cover was carried over form previous release so it is off, but not by much. I've drawn the turret in 3d in computer to get templates for scratchbuilding, we will have to see how this is corrected, if it's ok I'll be buying some replacement sprues if its possible. From the photos it looks a tad narrow.

M36B on the other hand looks to have that same FDA M10 had in previous releases, so it is to be replaced by aftermarket or tasca item.

Cheers,
Greg
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And what was wrong with Academy's upper hull?
Al

Actually, I never claimed anything was "wrong" with the upper hull. Just that the area of the front fenders and hinges, which are very visible in the above photos, are a little bland in detail, and could still use some upgrading by scratch, or Eduard's PE set. But now, thanks to Pedro, I realize there are some dimensional and angle issues. The turret, as well as AFV's, also had different dimensional issues. But as they say, "if it looks like a duck..."
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But as they say, "if it looks like a duck..."

_GOTOTOP