_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Official: Home Improvement Campaign
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
I need another campaign like I need a straw for my beer, but I hit on an idea I wanted to throw out to see if there is any kind of interest. Fortunately, nobody needs to add to their stash for this one, as it's sort of an "anti-hangar-queen" concept. The idea is to take a model you completed a long time ago and, using new tools, techniques, and skills that you've acquired since, make it better. Maybe there is a new AM conversion you want to add; maybe you were never happy with the way the camo turned out; or maybe you just want to try that weathering technique you didn't know about then; whatever.

I hit on the idea as I was looking at my display shelf and realized that in the short time I've been lurking around KMN I have learned so much from all of you guys and gals. I like to think the results are beginning to show. I have several builds of which I'm still proud but do not rise to my current standard, and I figured a campaign might give me the motivation I need to actually do something about it.

Anyone like-minded out there?

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
Marc;

Rebuilds, updates, and remodeling!

I LIKE the general idea, and have a couple of candidates on the shelves which might fit (and which certainly could use some updates! Serious updates, at that! ). And I suspect many of us out there would likewise have something that could benefit from some new love and TLC.

The "but" lies in defining what would be an appropriate remodel job to count for a campaign. Adding a couple new tools and a bit of new dirt might update the old panzer, but seems like a minor tweaking in comparison with a basically sound build that could pop up with some new tracks, a metal barrel, and a new paint-job - a rather more substantial effort in rebuilding. Seems to me that you'll need to draw some minimum lines somewhere!

On the other hand, the idea is to rejuvenate some older stuff that you like but which could use some more-modern treatment and enhancement, and each such case is of course a unique individual needing specific bits, so...

Maybe this campaign would want to start with a few "before" pics and a posted detailed plan as to what will be changed, and end with one or more completed pics...

I think it could be a lot of fun, and I'm certainly interested in giving a rehab project a go!

Bob
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 09:32 AM UTC
Extreme Makeover: Modeling Edition.

I've been known to pull a kit off the shelf and redo it so I'd be up for it. What-if allowed?
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
Bob,
The idea I had in mind was more along the lines of someone, having learned some new techniques over the years, going back and applying them to an older model they had built before they had known about the technique (or maybe wasn't yet comfortable enough with it to try it out on a prized kit). However, I also thought that there might be someone who had found an AM update after the fact and thought, "Wow! I wish this had been available when I was building that kit." So in that regard I really didn't want to set a minimum standard, especially since I think many of the people potentially interested in this campaign would still be on the steep end of the learning curve (myself included).

On the other hand, I had not really thought about it being a full-blown kit bash, since the idea was give folks a reason to take something good and make it better--we just want to fix up the house, rather than tear it down to the foundation and build a new one. But I'm pretty flexible, and if there are folks that want to go all out, who am I to deny them? Desired outcome is for everyone to be proud of what they achieve, no matter how simple or complex. The more experienced modelers will certainly want to go for more, but some of the newer folks may not want to get too ambitious with something that is already on display. My thoughts, anyway...

Agree about doing before-and-after photos. I was thinking have everyone start with a description of the model they plan to use and what they plan to fix/modify on it (photo would be optional up front), and then at the end post before and after photos (easier to see the difference when both photos are in the same post).

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 11:20 AM UTC
That's probably the easiest way to manage this... have everyone post a before picture and list what they plan on doing to it. If there's an issue it can be caught there.

Are what-if's allowed? I've got a few kits pending being re-purposed in to something else.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 01:08 PM UTC
Alex,
There's actually a What-If campaign recruiting right now that might be a better fit for what it sounds like you've got in mind, but in the name of inclusiveness, I don't have a problem with what-if's in this campaign, as long as you consider your project an improvement on what you had before. But it's really more oriented towards keeping with your original product and updating it.

ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 04:29 PM UTC
I have an unpainted completely built Tamiya Pz IV sitting on my workshop bench that I threw together when I first got back into the hobby
So yeah that difinetly needs a make over and bing I'm working on a Dragon version now I have new markings that I can add to it plus some storage and maybe a scratch jerry can holder
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 04:47 PM UTC
Sounds great, Sal!

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 06:00 PM UTC
I'm already in the process doing exactly what this thread suggests! New techniques, new PE, new aftermarket, an orgy of photos, decades of improving skills, etc., is what prompted me to rework 3 M47's at the same time!!!

See my "production line" below. Maybe a bit late for qualifying for this campaign, but I had the same feelings about seeing those Testors/Italeri kits sitting idle on the shelf in 'plain Jane wrapping' or in a box for years...always hoping someone would make some aftermarket for these beauties so I could actually build one not OOB!

Odd how modelers found the M47 to be a sweetly detailed kit for its era, still praising its detail even today, yet no one in the aftermarket arena adopted 'her' for years! Glad to see Eduard, D.E.F., and a couple others bring 'her' into the modern era allowing us to spend even more money on our modeling habit!

And with the advent (explosion) of the internet, resource photos from around the world abound of the M47. Walkarounds, modeling techniques, unknown or unseen versions of this beast have finally surfaced.

With all this being said, I could no longer ignore those 3 kits any longer and have begun doing my version of Saturday morning home improvements to model kits! Technically the kits are in a home!
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alex,
There's actually a What-If campaign recruiting right now that might be a better fit for what it sounds like you've got in mind, but in the name of inclusiveness, I don't have a problem with what-if's in this campaign, as long as you consider your project an improvement on what you had before. But it's really more oriented towards keeping with your original product and updating it.

Yes I am familiar with the What-if campaigns. I did four submissions for the last one and will probably do 2-3 for the upcoming one. I build a lot of what-if subjects, and don't always connect them to a campaign.

What I am thinking of is redoing an old Trumpeter KV-1. The paint job is a bit too glossy for me. I could just repaint it or I could try to do something different with it.

Or maybe stretch a T34 or T54/55 chassis and use it as the basis for a mobile launcher for a Guideline missile.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Alex,

Yes I am familiar with the What-if campaigns. I did four submissions for the last one and will probably do 2-3 for the upcoming one. I build a lot of what-if subjects, and don't always connect them to a campaign.

What I am thinking of is redoing an old Trumpeter KV-1. The paint job is a bit too glossy for me. I could just repaint it or I could try to do something different with it.

Or maybe stretch a T34 or T54/55 chassis and use it as the basis for a mobile launcher for a Guideline missile.

I think that would work, Alex. I believe I've seen photos around somewhere of an SA-2 mounted on a GM-568 chassis, so putting it on some other kind of tracked chassis doesn't seem to me like all that big a stretch. If you consider it an improvement on what you had done previously, bring it (assuming this campaign ever actually gains any traction--no pun intended)

spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 04:21 PM UTC
Good idea. Let's do this.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
Mark your onto something here ...i built a tracked LAV 25 air defense vehicle years ago and i have never really been happy with it and there is a heap of things i want to change to it ..new gun..tracks and road wheels and now that i am way more experienced at painting and weathering this would be a pretty good subject to rebuild ..yeah count me in on this one mate

Phill
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
Count me in, I love the idea!

Have a DML Braile Tiger built OOB, with a paintjob I hate and planned to redo. ALso, I recently bought PE fenders and a metal gun barrel...
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 03:16 AM UTC
Looks like we're up to 8! Starting to get there. Any thoughts on time frame? I wouldn't mind putting off the start until sometime around Summer, but given the nature of it poeple might want to kick off sooner than that. How do you all feel?

Oh, and for anyone interested. My plan is to take my re-release Revell Atlas-Mercury with Friendship 7 capsule and launch site (to include scratch-built service tower) and add oil washes and filters, with which I was not acquianted when I built this. I had tried using some artist pastels to add some streaking at the time, but it just looks comical.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that would work, Alex. I believe I've seen photos around somewhere of an SA-2 mounted on a GM-568 chassis, so putting it on some other kind of tracked chassis doesn't seem to me like all that big a stretch. If you consider it an improvement on what you had done previously, bring it (assuming this campaign ever actually gains any traction--no pun intended)

The KV would be a basic repaint job....I might do it as well. The tracked guideline launcher would use the SA2 I did for the Flak Campaign and a couple of old Tamiya T-34s. I wasn't happy with the SA2 and the Tamiya kits are pretty old compared to what's out there now.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The KV would be a basic repaint job....I might do it as well. The tracked guideline launcher would use the SA2 I did for the Flak Campaign and a couple of old Tamiya T-34s. I wasn't happy with the SA2 and the Tamiya kits are pretty old compared to what's out there now.

You're killing me! You're going to destroy your product from my only other campaign for this campaign?!? Ouch!

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like we're up to 8! Starting to get there. Any thoughts on time frame? I wouldn't mind putting off the start until sometime around Summer, but given the nature of it poeple might want to kick off sooner than that. How do you all feel?

Oh, and for anyone interested. My plan is to take my re-release Revell Atlas-Mercury with Friendship 7 capsule and launch site (to include scratch-built service tower) and add oil washes and filters, with which I was not acquianted when I built this. I had tried using some artist pastels to add some streaking at the time, but it just looks comical.

Since I'm well into this home improvement thing with the 3 M-47's, I would go with ENDING in the summer...with the campaign immediately beginning (with no begin date). I'm sure others might be in to their re-do's as I am. I don't have any other re-do's other than what I have now in the way of the M-47. With that being said, if the campaign has a beginning date later on towards the summer of '15, then my "improvements" will have already been completed, which would disqualify me. My 2 cents!
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 12:00 PM UTC
Makes sense, but let me see what the others have to say. Personally, I'm up to my eyeballs in campaigns right now, and was thinking I'd like to space them out a little bit.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 11:11 PM UTC
Nah Mark I'm not destroying it...simply re-purposing it in to something bigger. I liked building that one if I re-build it I can fix some of the problems I had with it.

Anyway, it's pretty much open-season on about half the finished kits I have on the shelves. For me, the act of building is what I enjoy. I have a few ongoing campaigns that are subject to be rebuilt.

Anyway, the missile launcher idea is just an idea. By the time this one starts up I'll probably have gone through several ideas before lighting on one...or two.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC

The first pic represents the turret for the Spanish M47E2 with a M68 105mm gun from DEF Models. The turret handles remain original to the M-47 for the re-do.

The 2nd pic is the turret being re-done for a Somolia M-47 during the American incursion in 1993. The turret is based on Italian modified M-47's later sold and re-appeared from a 3rd party in Somolia. The most notable feature of this re-do is the addition of the "rain" gutters on the turret. The grab handles have changed as well. The vehicle keeps its' orginal 90mm gun.

The 3rd pic is a revised, home improved, M-47 of the Jordanian army during the 1973 Yom Kippur campaign. Note the difference in the grab handles here from the other turrets. This vehicle also keeps its' original 90mm gun.

The 4th pic is showing the whole M-47 revision from Somolia in its original color scheme I painted it from over 20 years ago. I think I was attempting to represent an M-47 from Croatia.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC
Looks like we've got about 8 interested. Think that's enough to get this thing off the ground?

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like we've got about 8 interested. Think that's enough to get this thing off the ground?

I'm willing to get going on this...besides, it will 'force' me to keep working the 'improvements'!

I'm in only if the END DATE is the summer of '15.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The first pic represents the turret for the Spanish M47E2 with a M68 105mm gun from DEF Models. The turret handles remain original to the M-47 for the re-do.

The 2nd pic is the turret being re-done for a Somolia M-47 during the American incursion in 1993. The turret is based on Italian modified M-47's later sold and re-appeared from a 3rd party in Somolia. The most notable feature of this re-do is the addition of the "rain" gutters on the turret. The grab handles have changed as well. The vehicle keeps its' orginal 90mm gun.

The 3rd pic is a revised, home improved, M-47 of the Jordanian army during the 1967 Six Day War campaign. Note the difference in the grab handles here from the other turrets. This vehicle also keeps its' original 90mm gun.

The 4th pic is showing the whole M-47 revision from Somolia in its original color scheme I painted it from over 20 years ago. I think I was attempting to represent an M-47 from Croatia.

I'm quoting myself here to make a correction to my Jordanian M-47. It will represent the '67 war, not the the '73 conflict...
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm willing to get going on this...besides, it will 'force' me to keep working the 'improvements'!

I'm in only if the END DATE is the summer of '15.

I think that would be too early for me, considering how many campaigns I've already got myself roped into; however, if you want to pick this one up and run with it, I'd be cool with that.

_GOTOTOP