_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
using plaster for bases
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:48 AM UTC
I recently purchased some Woodland Scenics Make-A-Scene (I think that's right) plaster. If I mix it according to the instructions does anyone know if it's runny, thick, etc? Anyone ever use this stuff before? thanks
mpkev31b
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 04:33 PM UTC
For a base I would use syrofoam sheeting as a base and then mold the plaster over the styrofoam.

I've used just plaster before and it tends to warp or Crack after awile.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hey Brian, a few things you should know about using regular plaster. You should always put in some type of white glue to your mix, helps hold it together. Always put in a bit of liquid dish soap, helps it spread easier to your base. And, always add your base paint color (water based of course) to your mix, if chips happen they wont show up as white spots. With all plaster mix's, make it a consistancey you can work with. Too much water takes a long time to cure and can results in cracks like a mus flat dryed up. Not enough water and you run the chance of it setting up before you have your base covered. And Kevin is correct about using styrofaom to build up the contour for your landscaping. I use sheets of the stuff and then use a soldering iron to melt them down to final contoure. Don't touch the iron to the foam, just pass it close by and don't breath in the fumes. They are very hazzardous to good health. Also when I use a few sheets of foam I white glue they together and stick tooth pick to help hold them together and leave them about a 1/4 inch above which helps hold the plaster to it. Hope all this helps. bob d.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:17 AM UTC
thanks for the tips and advice; I really appreciate it; I was thinking of using a wooden base but the Styrofoam might be better(?) cheers
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 07:15 AM UTC
A wooden base, (or anything solid) most deffinatly. The styrofoam for the ground contours only. A styrofoam base would not be strong enough to support the entire build.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 08:50 PM UTC
If using a wood base, seal it with paint, Varathane or something waterproof prior to applying any water based contouring material (be it plaster, celluclay, sculpamold or what have you). If you don't, the water in the surfacing material will seep into the wood and warp it, generally popping the rigid surfacing material off the surface or at least cracking it significantly.

Ask me how I know...

:)
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
thanks guys; got some great ideas spinning in my head; cheers
 _GOTOTOP