_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: Up-Armored Early Panzer
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 08:25 PM UTC

An announcement from Dragon Models has an early Panzer IV with added armor on the way.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC
Cool early Panzer got to have this.
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 12:27 AM UTC
Alright, made me at least raise an eybrow...
Would be interresting if it is simmilar to the "old" Ausf A kit. Not shure whatīs the deal about the new PE, but Iīd be interrested, if itīs still in the line of those famous "super kits"
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 04:37 AM UTC
WOW!!! DS tracks!
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 05:19 AM UTC
Supposedly based on 6747, which was an enjoyable kit to build, though I can't speak to historical/technical accuracy. My personal thing is to have individual tracks included as an option.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Supposedly based on 6747, which was an enjoyable kit to build, though I can't speak to historical/technical accuracy. My personal thing is to have individual tracks included as an option.

Hi, All! I question DRAGON's wisdom of supplying "DS" tracks in their German WWII subjects, although I successfully used them in building a couple of my Tiger Is- Since the "DS" tracks respond to plastic cement quite well, I was able to shape said "DS" tracks to represent the proper "track-sag".

My "secret" is simply to apply cyano-glue or liquid plastic cement to the upper inside surfaces of the "DS" track so that it doesn't show, and shape it to the required "track-sag" in the right places before the cement has a chance to dry...

I like DRAGON's "DS" tracks best on US WWII and present-day armor, since nearly all US armor makes use of "live" tracks, which require tight adjustment, i.e, virtually no "track-sag". Notable exceptions are the M113 APC and M551 "Sheridan" Light "Airborne" tanks.

In my opinion, DRAGON should have stuck with their individual "Magic Track" kit-supplied plastic indy-links, which are OK as far as I'm concerned. Many of my fellow modellers will go to the extra expense of replacing either of DRAGON's "Magic Track"/"DS" tracks by buying after-market white metal track links such as FRIULMODELISMO, etc. So the non-use of kit-supplied tracks becomes a moot point.

Naturally, DRAGON would want to save their money by replacing their "Magic Tracks" with "DS" tracks, as I'm sure many other kit manufacturers would have done, if they had the patent on styrene-based flexible tracks. To a dedicated modeller of 1/35 WWII German AFVs, the use of DRAGON's "DS" tracks becomes a decidedly retrograde step in quality. For myself, it's not a big issue, since for the last 10 years or so, I've been concentrating on 1/35 US/Allied subjects, anyway...
 _GOTOTOP