_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Backdating Tamiya STUG IIIB to a STUG IIIA???
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC
I know zero about STUG's. However, I'm interested in building Michael Wittmans STUG IIIA. I know Dragon has a STUG IIIA kit of Wittmans ride but was really wanting to use the newer Tamiya kit if possible.

Does anyone know if the Tamiya STUG IIIB can be easily modified to a STUG IIIA?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Brent,

It's definitely possible, I think I have seen an article doing just that in a Japanese mag, I'll check. Will scan it for you if I can locate it.

I have Cromwell Models resin Ausf A conversion for the Dragon Ausf B (before their A was out). It's got new resin tracks (narrower type), sprockets, boxes and other stuff.

As you have very generously helped me out with HMMWV parts in the past, I could give you this conversion if you're interested, just have to find it in my stash.

Cheers,

Christophe
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi Brent,
Iīve build the Dragon kit for the current StuG Campaign. Generally speaking itīs not that difficult converting the B into the A...
Main differnces are the the roof bit over the gunsight, two round break/convoy lights, not the rear square Notek. There should aswell be no weldseam around the gun mantlet mount.

From my references the Wittman Stug in specific seems to have a Notek front light though. I havenīt seen those boxes on the rear fenders that came with the kit.
This is the pic I based my build on, as far as I know this is the only picture where you can really see something of his Stug:
 _GOTOTOP