_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What If Gundam`s MBT Was Real ?
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi Gang, sitting here waiting for stuff to dry when my eyes fall on my stash and my Gundam M61A5 Main Battle Tank, I began to wonder what if this tank was real.
I began to think who would manufacture this behemoth,would General Dynamics Land Systems design and build it for the U.S. Army and assuming it was real what would they designate and name it ?.Knowing that the Abrams is the M1 I kinda hit on the name Eisenhower - after all wasn't he a famous U.S. general,this then leads to the designation.
Working logically on a numerical sequence would would it be ?.
Any ideas gang ?,just something to pass the time but I wonder where it will go from here.
Mongo13
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
This is a very cool kit. I built one like 5 years ago I think. Added the mine plow from the Tamiya Abrams. Gave mine the designation of Merkava Mk 6 HA "GOLIATH". Been thinking about doing another one now that Spade Ace does metal replacement tracks for it. I know some people think the kit to be too expensive, but when compared to some recent kits I feel it's very affordable. Plus the size of the vehicle is impressive.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 03:56 AM UTC
Didn't know Spade Ace had done some tracks. Will have to get a set.

Orange Hobby released a set of superb turned brass and resin gun barrels a few months ago that I purchased.

Wonder why the interest in this kit from the aftermarket companies, since nothing was ever done for it (that I know of) when it was first released (must be at least 5 years ago?)? Maybe we'll see a photo-etch set to, although what's in the kit is probably good enough.
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 01:04 PM UTC
it is a cool tank and definitely a US or IDF style. I think it still would be an M1(model 2085) as everything US is an "M1" (helmet, rifle, bayonet, grenade, tank etc ).

Don't know about a name, would like to see something more recent ... "Eisenhower" seems too long, how would you shorten it ?
Vietnam ? (too bad a memory to use a general's name from then ?) Gulf War ? General Schwarzkopf ("BlackHead") ? Naw, it would end up being called the "Pimple Tank" or "Zit Tank"

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hi Guys.

I know I could Google it but hey you started the thread - a photo would be nice - just for those of us who are not gamers.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hmmm... Tank, gun, heavy, ???mm, M10 General Ridgeway?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just for those of us who are not gamers.

Not so much gaming as anime, but your point still obtains.

As for the vehicle, why two main guns? If that was a noticable improvement, it would be happening already as there is nothing about it we couldn't do today.

It's also very, very large. Too large for strategic mobility unless railroad gauges will have changed a lot by the time this is supposed to happen. Seeing tanks in battle is cool, but as the Germans in WW II constantly ignored, you actually have to get your behemoth to the battlefield forst for it to be any use at all.

Paul
uarkram
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
I'm doing a whif right now, and my designation is M33 General J.B. Hood.

How about an M73 Hooker?

I just picked a 'M' number, and a civil war general at random.
There are alot of U.S. generals in history that get overlooked.
Pick one at random.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

just for those of us who are not gamers.

Not so much gaming as anime, but your point still obtains.

As for the vehicle, why two main guns? If that was a noticable improvement, it would be happening already as there is nothing about it we couldn't do today.

It's also very, very large. Too large for strategic mobility unless railroad gauges will have changed a lot by the time this is supposed to happen. Seeing tanks in battle is cool, but as the Germans in WW II constantly ignored, you actually have to get your behemoth to the battlefield forst for it to be any use at all.

Paul

Everything on the internet is real (sic), so your two gun turret is real and I've got proof!!

TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 01:37 AM UTC
Ususally they pick successful Generals and Hooker was not unless you consider what became his name sake. You might continue the trend of the Stryker named after EMs. How about the R. Lee Emery?

Tom
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the photo. Impressive tank, looks somewhat like Russia's new proposed tank except for the two guns.

Eisenhower clearly would be shortened to the "Ike". Which sure as heck works for me!
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:28 AM UTC
Ike already has an aircraft carrier, does he need a tank? Not that he wasn't a great American. What about the Vandergrift or Chesty Puller throw a few Marines into the pool. The Corps likes heavy tanks.

Tom
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:40 AM UTC

The M10 Mattis

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:46 AM UTC
^^^ ^^^

armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
I`m not discriminating against the Marines - it`s just that I don't know any Marine Generals.
I just chose Eisenhower because everybody knows who he was - OOOOORAAAH,GO MARINES !
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:32 PM UTC
Wikepedia is great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Army_four-star_generals

I think the M61A5 Kreuger has a nice ring to it.
 _GOTOTOP