_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: Panzerjäger PaK40
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC

Coming out of Dragon Models in the near future is an early anti-tank gun on tracks.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:25 AM UTC
How long before the Dragon haters start winning?
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:30 AM UTC
What is the difference between this Marder II and the other two that Dragon have out? Essentially what is the main difference between the early production,mid production and late production? Because to my untrained eye looking at images it really doesn't seem like anything is truly noticeably different?
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:50 AM UTC
I have one of the earlier Marder II's in my stash (no.6262). But there is no indication on the box or instructions as to early/mid/late prod type. The gun is the same. If I recall correctly, the Germans captured large numbers of Russian 76mm guns, and a number of Marders were equipped with those guns due to their hitting power, and before the Pak40 became more available . So if Dragon would try a "variant" with that feature, it would be worth a look. With minimal info on the new kit, it's too early to say if there are any differences.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have one of the earlier Marder II's in my stash (no.6262). But there is no indication on the box or instructions as to early/mid/late prod type. The gun is the same. If I recall correctly, the Germans captured large numbers of Russian 76mm guns, and a number of Marders were equipped with those guns due to their hitting power, and before the Pak40 became more available . So if Dragon would try a "variant" with that feature, it would be worth a look. With minimal info on the new kit, it's too early to say if there are any differences.

no.6262 is the late version. All three versions are equipped with the pak 40.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the news! Definitely need to study up on this vs. previous offerings. Having never built a Marder, I will definitely have options. One of my favorite vehicles ever is the Sd.Kfz.135 Marder I auf Lorraine. It's such a sexy "Normandy-Esque" hedgerow hotrod I have 2 from RPM but find the kits awful/havent built em. I'd absolutely LOVE it if Dragon released a Marder I Lorraine but..I dream. Cheers guys.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you mean "whining"?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:01 PM UTC
they already have 2 of these that I know of ..
kit # 6262 & 6423 , both are very good kits.Both have Magic tracks & PE...one has a metal barrel & a tarp. No need for this one.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:17 PM UTC
According to an ancient IPMS/USA article from when the Tamiya kit came out there were changes in the interior and exterior storage. Something that could easily just be options in the instructions, but this is Dragon.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:16 PM UTC
It's got 2 new parts, and different decals!
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's got 2 new parts, and different decals!

Maybe one of those new parts is the missing sprocket tooth? I'm glad they're re-releasing stuff, might be able to score one cheap on ebay now.

Kimmo
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Jack! (little pun intended! )

Just to hopefully help avoid some confusion and consternation on all sides... You are in fact correct about the Germans using that captured Russian F-22 76mm gun on Marder tank-destroyers... That gun was used on both the slightly-modified Pz 38(t) chassis to create the first Marder III (kitted in 1/35 by Tamiya), and on a modified Pz II ausf D or E chassis to create the first Marder II type. The first Marder II (II-D, II-E) is well-kitted in 1/35 by Bronco - a very cool kit, IMHO!

Dragon / CyberHobby has not kitted anything using that Russian F-22 gun - all of the Dragon Marder II kits are those built on modified Pz II ausf F chassis using the now-available 75mm PaK 40.

IN MHO, Dragon did OK with their first Marder II kit - albeit they missed on the sprockets and there are a few other things the accuracy-inclined need to deal with... It's a nice build with a lot of detail. I haven't yet seen or handled the second Dragon Marder II... MAYBE the D actually fixed that sprocket so to get the correct number of teeth? I have heard that the D addressed a couple of armor details and there are a few things changed from kit number 1. So far, this third kit seems to do another couple small changes.

By me, while it would be nice, in the abstract, to know that one's kit sprocket has the right tooth-count, the erroneous sprocket fit and the tracks went on... short of sitting and counting teeth, it looks right, IMO. Whatever other small details D has changed for this new kit, they likely won't much change the build. I'll suppose that the new part(s) enable one to build some specific individual Marder as used on some day in the war? Otherwise... it's another Marder kit, and I am sure that it's really a pretty nice kit of this little beastie. I won't rush to get one, as I have 2 of the first edition, and there are way too many other new subjects coming along! But that's me, and if you did not get one of the earlier kits... this one could be a great thing. Maybe this new one has DS tracks... which could please some folks. Anyone know?

Bob
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Did you mean "whining"?

I did and I see that it has already started. Sad folks...
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe this new one has DS tracks...

If it does...

Kimmo
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 06:27 PM UTC
I'm a Dragon fan so I would buy it anyway lol.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm a Dragon fan so I would buy it anyway lol.

I'm almost with you, there, David! I'm a D fan, too.... OK, maybe even a D-addict . . But, seeing as I have maybe 200 of D's big and full boxes waiting in my various closets... I gotta get a little picky and try to pull that needle outta my vein sometime! So, maybe this is one of those few opportunities to actually resist (even as I understand, like the Borg, that Resistance is ultimately Futile!)

Bob
 _GOTOTOP