_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cyber Hobby Panzer III BEOB
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 03:35 PM UTC
Started this as part of the Dragon OOTB campaign but failed miserably in the time give (no building for 6 months!!!)... so here it is - and now I dont have to build OOTB:

P6070066 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

and progress:

P1270004 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P1270001 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P1270002 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

had found a great photo of a rear mounted oil drum BUT the aerial of the BEOB is in the way ... also found one with oil can rack mounted on the right fender (3/4 cans & a spare wheel) which I will do (using the cans form the figure set that came with the kit).. also going to mount extra track on some of the front surfaces, maybe some stowage on the engine deck (saw another photo with fully laden engine deck including dining chairs!!!).... will just have to see
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 01:26 PM UTC
got a couple of hours in last night - worked on some additional bits as well as adding OOTB tools on the fenders....

P1290001 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P1290004 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P1290003 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

the rest "should" be straight forward OOTB additions - dont think I will do much more scratch addition (wondered about a 3rd spare wheel mounted on the turret for example but no evidence that was done on any marque of Pz III (I do look for things the crews did on the version - maybe not the exact model but "yes someone did add this to a Panzer III at some point")
Removed by original poster on 01/29/15 - 08:39:11 (GMT).
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
Looking GOOD, Rob!

Just cruise the web and see any number of Pz III pics showing any number of different approaches to stowage and spares! And always remember that, for every pic and variant you get to see, that individual tank actually CHANGED in its appearance leading up to that pic date and time, and more so afterwards!

As to spare wheels... lots of pics show MANY extras stashed on fenders, in make-shift racks across the rear deck, stashed on the front deck, etc. Just be sure that you don't just simply plop the wheel down as if it were going to just stay there in peace without being tied down or otherwise secured! Seeing goods added to builds in suggestion that gravity alone would keep things in place just bugs me!

That can and wheel rack on that fender is pretty cool!

Cheers!

Bob
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking GOOD, Rob!

Just cruise the web and see any number of Pz III pics showing any number of different approaches to stowage and spares! And always remember that, for every pic and variant you get to see, that individual tank actually CHANGED in its appearance leading up to that pic date and time, and more so afterwards!

As to spare wheels... lots of pics show MANY extras stashed on fenders, in make-shift racks across the rear deck, stashed on the front deck, etc. Just be sure that you don't just simply plop the wheel down as if it were going to just stay there in peace without being tied down or otherwise secured! Seeing goods added to builds in suggestion that gravity alone would keep things in place just bugs me!

That can and wheel rack on that fender is pretty cool!

Cheers!

Bob

cheers Bob - and yeah I hate the magic of gravity (or perhaps its the magnetic properties of wooden boxes")

need to add "solder" around the additions, and then browse further for ideas on 1 more storage - thinking some sort of frame on the turret perhaps... dot know yet
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC
guys - can anyone confirm the position of the rear aerial during travel? wondering about loading th engine deck and am thinking a socking great star antenna on the back wouldn‘t‘ve been deployed all the time....

thanks
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 01:02 PM UTC
basic camouflage scheme on - still getting splatter but not as bad as the half-track i did last year.;... some chipping done - the chipping of the green was done with the MiG scratch effect fluid - think I over applied it in parts (or didn't let the paint dry enough) as still getting it coming off in chunks.... will do some more work on smaller chips, adding the decals (all 3 of them) and then contemplate the snow scheme - thinking hastily applied by brush in lines (as seen on a couple of photos of Pz IIIs)

P2050002 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2050003 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2050004 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2050005 by Rob Worth, on Flickr
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC
Robert can I just ask what airbrush and paints you are using?
Are you thinning your paints enough or is the tip of the needle clogged,make sure the needle tip is clear of any old paint.

When did you purchase your model as I noticed the Model zone price sticker on the box,the one in Liverpool closed down about 2 years ago.

Karl

robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert can I just ask what airbrush and paints you are using?
Are you thinning your paints enough or is the tip of the needle clogged,make sure the needle tip is clear of any old paint.

When did you purchase your model as I noticed the Model zone price sticker on the box,the one in Liverpool closed down about 2 years ago.

Karl

Karl,

the airbrush is H&S (think actually the very end of the needle is damaged) and the paint this time was lifecolour - I did NOT think this time - was flowing OK with PSI around 15-20... it may be that I am spraying too much (A/B has adjustable control) or that yes it needed slightly thinning)....

and yes - this must've been bought from the Newcastle MZ (may be Metro Center) when they had their closing down sale... really enjoyed the shops - the Newcastle one stocked Vallejo paints which my current LHS doesnt....
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 06:39 PM UTC
It does look as if the airbrush is at fault for the paint problems that you are having. Can you get a replacement part because you cant go on using it like this
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 07:38 PM UTC
yeah - think the H&S needles are quite common - will have a look.... mind "a bad workman always blames his tools" so I need to practice more as well...
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 11:14 PM UTC
Think it's best to get yourself a Neo for Iwata airbrush,just looked at the parts for your H&S and it will be cheaper to buy a new brush.
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 01:40 PM UTC
added white paint - used reference photo for the "daubed" look.....

P2080004 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2080006 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2080007 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2080010 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 04:30 PM UTC
finally got round to adding one of the tracks... starting to get there - once the 2nd track is on will do some more weathering

P2220005 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2220006 by Rob Worth, on Flickr

P2220007 by Rob Worth, on Flickr
 _GOTOTOP