_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pz.38(t) Book Recommendations
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 01:34 PM UTC
I am wanting to build a 38(t) G, with interior, at some point. Looking for book recommendations.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 04:17 PM UTC
Mainly looking for interior photos.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hope you don't mind a free source
38t Full walkaround
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
Matt , Squadron Signal has a Walk Around book on the 38 ( SS 5713 )
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:25 PM UTC
Wow!
First off, if these colors are historically accurate and not restored, I've built a lot of vehicles based on the 38t that are just wrong, interior especially.
Second, all the extra stuff wedged into every last nook and cranny gives new meaning to the term interior detail, a ton of which would have to be scratch built.
Other than that, it's a great resource and I just bookmarked the page.

pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am wanting to build a 38(t) G, with interior, at some point. Looking for book recommendations.

Hi Matt,
What model are you going to do? Tristar has designed the interior of the 38 (t), I have also set up in my storage, I think is great.

Paweł
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:39 PM UTC
I got a Pz38(t) -
TANKS & ARMOUR:
PANZER 38(t)
Ian Allen Publishing
ISBN: 071103091X

but I can't seem to find where I put it ...

I highly recommend it.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:02 PM UTC
With German armor, you can never go wrong with Panzer Tracts.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
Matt;

Hi!

Others have mentioned several sources - Panzer Tracts is certainly a great go-to (albeit light on color info, given as you don't get to see color therein - but this is also true of most other sources, so...), and Terry Gander's Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) (Tanks & Armor) is nice.

Squadron has produced at least 2 books on 38(t) - PzKpfw 38(t) In Action (Kliment & Doyle), and Panzer 38(t) / Swiss LTL-H Walk-around (Greer & Spraggins). The Kliment & Doyle volume is really a survey of the 38(t) family and offers little for interior stuff.

The 38(t) Walk-around book has a lot of interior - Great! But do be aware that most of this is from a restored Swiss LTL-H version, and not either the original Czech or German stuff. There is a good look at the externals of a German 38(t) museum relic. Swiss had many detail differences in equipment, arrangement, and finishes used, both inside and out, and the Swiss tank is essentially an "as new" specimen. Still, you get a great look at the inside mess! The B&W pics give great looks at external stuff German and Swiss - but the web and many other pubs really fulfill external info needs pretty well, so...

I would add a couple more sources which I have found useful for 38(t) inside and out...

Tankograd's Panzer 38(t) (Zollner) (German and English), and C. Kliment's Praga (Czech and English).

The mentioned image walk-around from the web is another fantastic look - the web is the info highway, for sure! Do bear in mind that you are seeing another restored relic...

And, yes, there WAS and IS a lot more crap inside any tank, armored car, truck, car, plane, etc., than what ANY kit or AM set provides! Once you dig into interior pics... it does put a whole new spin on the idea of a "fully-detailed interior"!

And yes, we probably all have twisted around some in our interior color-schemes... not ONLY in these 38(t)! I fully admit that I certainly have!

I used to get depressed when seeing all the stuff that I had missed putting in (or even thinking about maybe considering possibly putting in ), and more in-the-dumps whenever I encountered new info on color details I thought I "knew" - but now-a-days I just enjoy the info and go ahead and do a little here and there to satisfy my very light case of AMS! Historical accuracy is generally a noble goal and a good thing, but no longer a confounding obsession, to me! It's more about relax and enjoy the hobby and seek a good build at a comfort-level I can support without wrecking my other life!

As the Japanese IJA Colonel Saito (maybe Sato?) said to his captive British Colonel (Royal Engineers) Nicholson in "Bridge over the River Kwai"; "Be happy in your work!"

The books are great, and there's always the web - but sadly time is limited!

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 - 03:57 PM UTC
I will be building Dragon's G w/interior. I have considered using parts from the Tristar interior.
No problems, with free resources. I suspected Panzer Tracts and Tankograd would be the most informative. I will look into these.
 _GOTOTOP