_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vickers light tank Mk VI, captured!
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
Given the subject, could have posted this under British Armour, but likely receive more exposure here.

Anyhow, this is Vulcan's 1/35 kit of the Mk VIB desert version. I've backdated it with some AM and scratch built items.

Colours are based on these two b/w period photos. There have been a few comments elsewhere that turret flag colours should start with green on top. Though I agree with that sequence from a logical pov, it is not what I'm seeing in the tonal values of the b/w photos. Any thoughts on this are more than welcomed.

I usually like to include some actual information to put the build in historical context, but other than two period photos, nothing found about these captured vehicles. This one in particular seems to have no severe battle damage. My best guess is the original owners abandoned it either due to mechanical problems or it got stuck in soft sand. Anyhow, the rest of the photos ...

regards,
Jack
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
Firstly that's a beautiful model Jack. Well constructed and superb paint.

On the national colours however unfortunately I have to agree and think that all may be reversed (hull and turret) compared with the real thing. I desaturated one of you pics and the green in the black and white pics is always the darker tone, no matter how much adjustment you give it. Pic attached for comment .....

cheers
Brent

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:27 PM UTC
Nice work! And I love that opening photo!

—mike
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks Brent and Mike!

I too considered the green sections represented as the darkest of the greys. This definitely would make the turret colours with green on top.

That is what confuses me, the colours on the hull and fenders would also require to be switched around, but Italian flag colour always starts with green on the left.

So I guess sequence of colors when presented horizontally is interchangeable and still recognized as Italian, but not so when presented in vertical format - anyone?

regards,
Jack
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC
Yeah I agree with your logic, and would have painted the hull the same way as yours. It definitely seems reversed though based on the tones/desaturation comparison which does seems odd. I think we need an Italian national to comment .....

cheers
Brent
JackG
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC
lmao ... yes, on another forum two gentleman (I think Italian by the spelling of their names) brought this to my attention, but neither addressed the lower hull.

Michael Rinaldi (author of the TankArt series) also commented, and believes I have done correct based on the photos. He also suggest the red was purposely placed on top for better air recognition.

There is also the Squadron In Action book on medium Italian Tanks. A colour plate on the back cover of an M11/39 has a narrow tri-colour on the turret rear, and top colour is red. Note this booklet appears to have been authored by Nicola Pignato.

So it seems there is argument for both cases.

regards,
Jack
 _GOTOTOP