_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV M5A1 Kit
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:12 PM UTC
Guys, am on ghe look out for a birthday present and I am after somehitng with a bit of detail.. the AFV M5A1 (eg kit 35161) caught my eye and wondered if there were any internal after market sets I could look at if I did go this route? or anything for the outside - maybe black dog or is it gonna be a case of individual units hung around..... or perhaps crew figures...

and advice on this kit greatly received
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:28 PM UTC
Voyager Model came out with a PE set several years ago.

http://www.hlj.com/product/VYMPE35223/

As far as an interior, Verlinden may have done an interior set, most likely meant for the Tamiya kits, but you would have to do some looking to find it.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as an interior, Verlinden may have done an interior set, most likely meant for the Tamiya kits, but you would have to do some looking to find it.

Verlionden did as did Yanks models, also a long time ago and even harder to find.

The kit comes with some very useful bits like the radio and the gun mount.

If you can find the Verlinden kit, much will be of use, but from what I remember, the parts didn't fit the tamiya kit well and would need some modification to fit the AFV hull as teh proportions are different than the Tamiya kit in several areas.

If you are OK with scratchbuilding, then teh Verlinden AM kit and AFV kit parts are a great head start on a really detailed interior. If you want something that requires a minimum of effort, there really isn't anything on the market.

Plus, if you want to make a Stuart VI, as opposed to an M5A1, you'll need a No 19 Wireless set as the kit comes with the Yank SCR 508 radio. There are several available on the market.

The build is pretty straightforward, but there are a vew things to watch out for. I built it as a review item for AMPS and the mods can be found there:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/Reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=1632&Type=FB

HTH

Paul
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Verlionden did as did Yanks models, also a long time ago and even harder to find.

The kit comes with some very useful bits like the radio and the gun mount.

If you can find the Verlinden kit, much will be of use, but from what I remember, the parts didn't fit the tamiya kit well and would need some modification to fit the AFV hull as teh proportions are different than the Tamiya kit in several areas.

If you are OK with scratchbuilding, then teh Verlinden AM kit and AFV kit parts are a great head start on a really detailed interior. If you want something that requires a minimum of effort, there really isn't anything on the market.

Plus, if you want to make a Stuart VI, as opposed to an M5A1, you'll need a No 19 Wireless set as the kit comes with the Yank SCR 508 radio. There are several available on the market.

The build is pretty straightforward, but there are a vew things to watch out for. I built it as a review item for AMPS and the mods can be found there:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/Reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=1632&Type=FB

HTH

Paul

cheers Paul, havenoticed the turret interior looks ok - nice big hatches... i have done "some" scratch building - mostly 1/72 aircraft interiors, my armour has been limited to adding load outs... but if i had decent plans, images and yes other builds, I wouldnt mind having a go - perhaps this would be an ideal kit to try that.....

might get the kit and then look at what else i can do on top myself.... maybe invest in replacement machine gun barrels to start off with.....
 _GOTOTOP