_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Finished altering HB M3A1 Late skate rail
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:00 AM UTC
I had bought the kit and knew from reviews that the skate rail brackets were wrong. I had decided when buying it to fix them. I didn't realize that it was harder than I thought. I finally finished correcting it mostly. Unfortunately it obviously isn't wholly accurate as I eyeballed the design and I had to shave a lot off the rear bar in the back... Not sure what to call it. You'll notice it next to the new PE brackets. If I didn't shave it down the brackets wouldn't connect with the rear wall of the model. I wasn't going for complete accuracy but more of a "it looks right so it's fine" correction. The first picture is how it looks in the vehicle and the second is how it looks on its own. This is the first actual scratch building/correction that I've really done at all.

Also without those places that you see against the rail the brackets wouldn't connect and it would've been harder to keep them attached.

I also have a picture of the unditching roller here. I wrapped it in string to try to simulate rope wrapped around it. What do you think?

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC
Welcome to scratchbuilding!

I like the brackets and the roller is fine. You may want to reconsider the use of string though as the fuzz on the string can be hard to remove once it's attached to the model and it will really show up once you start to paint the string. You can get finly twisted wire rope, small diameter scale tow rope or do it yourself to get a better look. It's not that hard.

Paul
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:22 PM UTC
Thank you. Unfortunately I glued it down already (some areas with super glue) but I can try removing it. I'm guessing that with some some thin craft string (what I used was actually cooking string) or the wire rope it could be twisted to represent the strands of actual rope, right?
 _GOTOTOP