_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Late Version M5A1 - AFV Club Kit
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:53 PM UTC
Anyone got interior photos of the late version M5A1. Thinking of adding some detail to mine (AFV club) - the Verlinden set probably wouldnt fit too well so would have to be scratch

any after market goodies I could look at to enhance the kit (thinking stowage but will consider anything).
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone got interior photos of the late version M5A1.

Hunnicutt has most of what you'd need and you can borrow one by interlibrary loan in the US, apparently, so maybe in the UK as well?

Quoted Text

the Verlinden set probably wouldnt fit too well so would have to be scratch

Well, there are some problems with the Verlinden sets as they are meant for the Tamiya kit, but many of the parts are acceptable and are probably a lot easier to modify versus scratchbuilding the whole thing. I know, I scratchbuilt masters for M5 and M8 interiors 15-20 years ago for the Yanks Miniatures set.

Quoted Text

any after market goodies I could look at to enhance the kit (thinking stowage but will consider anything).

Starting from any of the available full interiors is a good place to start.

Accurate Armour make Stuart V interiors, but don't use those as there is almost nothing the same from the inside of an M3A3 to an M5A1. I think Verlinden and the old Yanks sets are pretty much your only options. I don't think TMD so any M5A1 interior stuff.

The kit is a bit fiddly in a few places, I detailed these in a build review I posted on the AMPS web site:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/Reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=1632&Type=FB

HTH

Paul
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Anyone got interior photos of the late version M5A1.

Hunnicutt has most of what you'd need and you can borrow one by interlibrary loan in the US, apparently, so maybe in the UK as well?

Quoted Text

the Verlinden set probably wouldnt fit too well so would have to be scratch

Well, there are some problems with the Verlinden sets as they are meant for the Tamiya kit, but many of the parts are acceptable and are probably a lot easier to modify versus scratchbuilding the whole thing. I know, I scratchbuilt masters for M5 and M8 interiors 15-20 years ago for the Yanks Miniatures set.

Quoted Text

Starting from any of the available full interiors is a good place to start.

Accurate Armour make Stuart V interiors, but don't use those as there is almost nothing the same from the inside of an M3A3 to an M5A1. I think Verlinden and the old Yanks sets are pretty much your only options. I don't think TMD so any M5A1 interior stuff.

The kit is a bit fiddly in a few places, I detailed these in a build review I posted on the AMPS web site:

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/Reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=1632&Type=FB

HTH

Paul

cheers Paul, some good direction. Dont seem to be able to find either the Yanks or Verlinden set in the UK. I know TMD do turret & hatch stuff - not sure what the import tax situation is for ordering from the US in to the UK tho...
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:38 PM UTC
Rob I sent you a PM ..
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 03:34 PM UTC
have plumped for the Verlinden interior as the basis for my interior... have also found the NEWTMD replacement hatches and also panzerart sandbag armour too... may also get some rear stowage (think blast models do some nice stuff)...

the final piece of the puzzle... tempted by the an-uiq-1 psywar version... anyone know of a readily available after market option for that? have photos of the unit itself so could scratch build it, but believe I would also need to add a box on the rear of the turret)...
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 04:53 PM UTC
The New TMD Sets are nice.... Hatches, turret, grousers, etc... Its all great.

Chris
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi, have you looked at Value Gear for your stowage they have some good stuff and reasonably priced.You can get it from Fields of Glory website in the U.K. no connection just an happy customer.
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, have you looked at Value Gear for your stowage they have some good stuff and reasonably priced.You can get it from Fields of Glory website in the U.K. no connection just an happy customer.

yep - i have 2 sets of value gear stuff - some general boxes and some general tarps... not got any of the larger pieces (when I et a Sherman I am looking at their specific stowage sets to use)... do sometimes make my own as well..

noticed that "fish n chips" which is the vehicle I am thinking of making doesnt have the rear stowage box on it, but if i make up my own additions i may just do generic markings, all to come
 _GOTOTOP