_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Firefly (Revell 1/76)
lilliputmodels
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 03:58 PM UTC

Hi everyone. This week I have assembled and painted Sherman Firefly model from Revell in 1/76 scale. After building the model I have coated with Mr. Color's Flat Black spray primer. Then I have painted it with Vallejo Bronze Green acrylic paint. After that I have used MIG's Streaking Grime' and Tamiya's Weathering Stick Pen for snow effects. Finally I have prepared a diorama base with some vegetation products and Tamiya's snow effects. In general I was pretty satisfied with this kit and I am planning to build more models from Revell in the future. I hope you liked the results too.

If you have suggestions or tips for me please share them in the comments section below. Cheers

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks for posting your pics. If I can make the following comments:

1) your muzzle brake needs to be rotated 90 degrees. The openings should be to the sides, not vertical

2) I think your use of the Tamiya snow-weathering stick has given you the opposite effect you're hoping for. Any snow/frost accumulation would remain in the crevices -- not on the most exposed edges. In your vicinity, go look at equipment, vehicles, buildings. Any melted/blown away snow appears on the most exposed areas first -- with the nooks and crannies holding the snow/ice until last. Perhaps you should have experimented with a whitish wash instead?

HTH
lilliput-models
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi HTH,

I agree with you on these 100%. While assembling turret I have realized the mistake about muzzle brakes but it was too late to correct it because it's got stick together already.

The snow effects was something new to me. In fact it's my first diorama taking place in a winter scene so I am still experimenting with a lot of products but you're right about the melted parts. It was actually my intention to reach the center more and refrain from touching the edges however the pen was too big for such a small scale and sure enough the first thing that it touched while working with it was the edges that are the most exposed. I think I will be researching more about this.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Ali
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 12:54 AM UTC
If you like mini-Shermans, I would suggest the Dragon 1/72 ones. They are, admittedly, more fiddly, but have more detail, and also have some PE.
lilliputmodels
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thank you for the advice Biggles. Even though I've tried many of Dragon's kits I have never tried anything in 1/72 scale from them. I will definitely give a shot after I finish what I have in inventory. Cheers!

Ali
 _GOTOTOP