_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help building a sherman Firefly.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC
I picked up a 1/76 sherman Firefly, an old Matchbox kit reboxed by Revell.The kit looks good to me but it can be improved. First of all, I want to remove the sideskirts, leaving the front mudguards only then I was thinking about making some extra stowage boxes as seen on the pictures I attach, and adding extra armor plates to the sides, but not all of them had this details. Now, the marking options are:

1.- 2nd Batallion Coldstream Guards, Normandy, June 1944, painted overall olive drab.

2.- 2nd Fife and Fofar Yeomanry Theinland 1944, bronze green/black camo.

I'd like to know if such modifications I want to make are proper for vehicles of this year and places. Now the pics:

OOB Revell kit:

Pic of Sherman Firefly w/o sideskirts:

[ìmg]http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/Scenarios/natt-Firefly-1.jpg[/img]

Extra boxes:

Armour plates:

There should be only one plate at the other side, note the added plates on the glacis, one in front of each hatch bulge.

Thanks a lot in advance.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up a 1/76 sherman Firefly, an old Matchbox kit reboxed by Revell.The kit looks good to me but it can be improved. First of all, I want to remove the sideskirts, leaving the front mudguards only then I was thinking about making some extra stowage boxes as seen on the pictures I attach, and adding extra armor plates to the sides, but not all of them had this details. Now, the marking options are:

1.- 2nd Batallion Coldstream Guards, Normandy, June 1944, painted overall olive drab.

2.- 2nd Fife and Fofar Yeomanry Theinland 1944, bronze green/black camo.

I'd like to know if such modifications I want to make are proper for vehicles of this year and places. Now the pics:

OOB Revell kit:

Pic of Sherman Firefly w/o sideskirts:

[ìmg]http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/Scenarios/natt-Firefly-1.jpg[/img]

Extra boxes:

Armour plates:

There should be only one plate at the other side, note the added plates on the glacis, one in front of each hatch bulge.

Thanks a lot in advance.

OK, firstly the stowage box pictures you show are of a Sherman Firefly 1c based on an M4 whilst the Matchbox kit is an M4A$ based Vc. The box arrangement on the hull is unique to the M4 and the Vc had a large stowage box across the rear of the Hull (The M4 requires cranking and the large box covered the crankcase access.).
You can shave off the guards but will need to add a small strip along the lower hull edge. The Applique plated on the hoods of the pictured is rarely seen on Vc Fireflies with the normal glacis hoods. The one you show has DV hoods and was fairly common on the 1c as these tended to be remanufactured vehicles. The DV M4A4 as Fireflies are rarer and I can only recall a few photos of them. They also tend to have the large cheek armour applique. The turret box was fairly common in both Regiments. You need to find a photo of the vehicle you want to model.
Try a google search for Firefly VC
Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP