_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
ET Model film removal
Teaonly
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hello All,
Here is my problem. I have a set of ET Model etch for the Merkava 3, and I have never come across this problem before. Some of the etch comes with two films covering the front and back of the etch sheet. The front has peeled off with no problem. Does anyone know how to get the back piece of film off. I have tried the usual peeling with tweezers/fingers, thinners both white and cellulose, I have even held it over a candle flame and it has even resisted that. Any help would be welcome.
accelr8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 08:40 PM UTC
acetone/nail polish remover? I know back in the old days, that was how you separated etch from the backing sheet it was attached to.
Teaonly
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hello Brian,
Many thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. The only way I found was to cut out the part and then peel back the sheet, but that has a tendency to destroy the part.
Regards
Mike.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:50 PM UTC
I have quite a few ET sets and never saw this. Trumpeter does this, but if you just make a cut on the fret, it peels right off. Of course, their PE is very thick, so it doesn't bend. Did you try contact ET and asking them? Maybe it is a manufacturing mistake?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 07:02 PM UTC
You should manage to peel off the second film as you did for the front one. Try to scratch one angle with your modeling knife. That should be enough to remove a bit of it so you can use your tweezers to peel the rest of the film.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP