_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quad gun tractor
davanuk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hi,

Having been a railway modeller for many years I felt that, at age 70, it was time for a change and to model something I have always had an interest in.
To that end I have made a start by buying a Tamiya Quad gun tractor and 25lb gun kit. I intend to paint it in the desert warfare colours and wondered what colour the interior would be.
I assume it would be the same as outside but would be glad of help.
Many thanks,
Dave

FarmerDave
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:31 AM UTC
It would still be dark green i think. (khaki drab?) Only the outside would be painted in sand colour.
davanuk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thanks for that.
Dave
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
The Tamiya Quad is a Canadian built (Canadian Military Pattern) vehicle. This site has info and links (unfortunately most no longer good) about the painting of CMP vehicles:

http://www.geocities.ws/cmpvehicles/paint.html

It says "those going to the Middle East LIGHT STONE #61"

Suggest researching further.

This site has a lot of info about CMP vehicles:

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com/
davanuk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:32 AM UTC
eThanks for the link, very interesting and, as you suggest, I will research it further.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hello Dave,

Welcome to Armorama!

I did a review of the kit back in 2009, here's the link:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3966

There is a build blog also.

HTH.

See ya in the funnies...................
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:21 AM UTC
That Tamiya Quad is a Ford Canada CMPP vehicle with a Type 12 cab. Some of these were built for European service and then sent to Africa and some were built for African service.

Those built for Europe would be painted in Khaki Green G3 all over, inside and out. When sent to Africa, only the outside would be repainted in Light Stone BSC 61.

Those built for Africa would be painted Light Stone inside and out and not repainted upon arrival in Africa.

You have choices depending upon how interesting and unusual you want to make the model.

Be aware that the kit isn't terribly accurate and that neither are the markings. However, as your first military vehicle model, ignore all that and concentrate on getting the basics down pat and enjoying the build. That's the key thing. Sweat the details only on later models and only if you feel like it! :-)

All the best,

Paul
davanuk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 03:44 PM UTC
Brian and Paul,

Many thanks for the link and the advice. I will use the link and heed the advice

Dave
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That Tamiya Quad is a Ford Canada CMPP vehicle with a Type 12 cab. Some of these were built for European service and then sent to Africa and some were built for African service.

Those built for Europe would be painted in Khaki Green G3 all over, inside and out. When sent to Africa, only the outside would be repainted in Light Stone BSC 61.

Those built for Africa would be painted Light Stone inside and out and not repainted upon arrival in Africa.

You have choices depending upon how interesting and unusual you want to make the model.

Be aware that the kit isn't terribly accurate and that neither are the markings. However, as your first military vehicle model, ignore all that and concentrate on getting the basics down pat and enjoying the build. That's the key thing. Sweat the details only on later models and only if you feel like it! :-)

All the best,

Paul

What he said! Enjoy the build first...get your feet wet later when the detailing bug hits!

One dark night while u sleep...and u dream about your build, is when that detailing 'bug' strikes.

You'll never know when it happens...

Then be prepared...you'll want every CMP in 1/35th, from anybody and everybody who makes one.

Have deep pockets and excessive patients...as well as the beginnings of clearing out a whole room just for the hobby. If you already have a "I love me" room, then just modify that to fit all that new plastic!

Welcome to the world of us crazy treadheads! And of course the incurable disease of AMS (Advanced Modelers Syndrome). No known cure...
davanuk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2015 - 02:26 AM UTC
John,
Thanks for that, I think! I thought this was going to be a b
nice quiet way to build kits, I hadn't realised that they should come with a health warning
Many thanks for all that, I must be careful what I dream about tonight
Dave
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 08:31 PM UTC
..."In the beginning"...God gave us models. And in his likeness, he created the engineer and kit maker. He gave us alcohol and somehow the two met in some sand bar somewhere. Eureka (or viola for you French guys)! Hey, we can replicate that! So they set out on a quest to see what could be. Before all that came the complete destruction of the dinosaur...giving us 'black gold'. Hence, plastic is born. Put plastic and human together...you get models. Or something like that...

Over an even longer period of time I learned that the modeling technology of time gone by eventually rendered quite a few kits inaccurate. But back then I still employed the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method of building (it's only later on that I got stupid and contracted AMS) . Jump to the 80's and then the cottage industry caught up to the kits in a big way to add a great deal of accuracy. By the mid to late 90's, the kit makers caught up and produced awe inspiring kits that require little or no modifications at all. That trend continues today (thank God again, for he allows me to grovel over plastic in the 21st century).

The Quad, or CMP, is an example of this. To me, the Testors kit of 3 decades ago still holds a fondness of a simple and enjoyable build. It was quite the detailed kit for it's day even if it had sink marks galore. We lived with that back in the day. As time marched on, Tomy, Peerless Max, et al, all had their hands in the CMP world as well...with a small improvement here and there. Now you got companies like Mirror Models cranking out far superior plastic in their few CMP's. It brings a tear to my eye when I see how beautiful kits are engineered today, and dare I say even better than what was around just 10 years ago! Its almost weird opening a kit sometimes and not wanting to build it because the parts looks so good on the sprues (and wipe my eyes dry viewing such a beautiful thing)!
 _GOTOTOP