_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
question about British M7's
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hey guys
Like every other modeller, there's always more than 1 thing on the go at any 1 time - so it is with me.
Whilst waiting for glue to dry on my Aussie DML M1, I thought I would open the box on Academy's M7. I'm sure I found it not long ago, but can anyone please confirm how the Brits stored the ammo on their Priests? I'm pretty certain I read they dispensed with the fibre ammo tubes in the racks & stored the shells as is.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC
While not that sure about the British M7's, the Canadian's made use of them during the early D-Day and Normandy campaign and from my understanding ammunition was drawn from US stores. This made the logistics difficult, thus the units were converted back to towed 25 pdrs and/or Sextons as soon as possible.

chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I have read there were problems with ammo replen because of the non-standard shell - especially in North Africa. But I am curious whether I include the fibreboard tubes or exposed ordnance in the racks
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC
British M7s were used mainly in Africa,Sicily and Italy,the ones in Normandy being replaced by Sextons.The best photos I have are in Concord's 'British Armor in Sicily and Italy' by Dennis Oliver,and as I don't have the means to scan anything (plus i don't want to infringe copyright!) I'll point you to page 29 where there's a photo of an artilleryman prepping 105mm shells taking them out of the fibreboard containers (IWM NA11636)
Then on page 30 there's a side on view of an early M7 (initial M3 style suspension,shallow 'pulpit' but with extended ammunition armoured sideshields) with a view of ammunition in the racks but still in their fibreboard containers (IWM NA11634)
Finally on page 58 there's another early Priest surrounded by empty fibreboard containers (IWM NA19775)

So,I guess if you showed your British M7 stowed with ammo in its containers I think you can get away with that!:-)
(IWM = Imperial War Museum,look up the photos using the reference numbers on their online collection)

_GOTOTOP