Diorama base help
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hello,
Issues with the pine wood base that were constructing a dio on. The base has warped and we are trying to figure how we can straighten it back out. We prepped the base with primer, but appears that it did not help. Added diluted white glue to secure the rubble debris and it back fired. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:00 AM UTC
You need to seal the base before you begin your ground work so it does not absorb any moisture which causes it to warp. I usually stain or paint my base around the edges. To give the base some tooth so the ground work will adhere I usually knick up the area to be covered pretty well. After that I seal the entire base usually with clear polyurethane(nasty odor) or some other clear cote and let it dry thoroughly. This seals the wood and keeps it from absorbing the moisture. Pine, a soft wood, especially prone to warp because it is very absorbent. Harder woods generally warp less but are more expensive. Hope this helps.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,
Issues with the pine wood base that were constructing a dio on. The base has warped and we are trying to figure how we can straighten it back out. We prepped the base with primer, but appears that it did not help. Added diluted white glue to secure the rubble debris and it back fired. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Buy a new wooden plaque, sand, stain, and seal it with urethane before you apply any water-based ground cover. Better yet, use epoxy putty as your ground material. It hardens without anything having to evaporate or shrink.
 _GOTOTOP