_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Q? re USMC colours
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi all

I'm off on a bit of a Sherman slant at the moment & found a set of Bison's M4A3 Iwo Jima decals, which show Marine tanks in 4 colour camo. Does anyone have any info about somewhat accurate matches for the Tan & Brick Red colours? Also the Bison sheet mentions a green base for the tanks - would I be right in thinking this should in fact be OD or did these Shermans leave the factory or get a repaint into Marine Green?

TIA
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

I'm off on a bit of a Sherman slant at the moment & found a set of Bison's M4A3 Iwo Jima decals, which show Marine tanks in 4 colour camo. Does anyone have any info about somewhat accurate matches for the Tan & Brick Red colours? Also the Bison sheet mentions a green base for the tanks - would I be right in thinking this should in fact be OD or did these Shermans leave the factory or get a repaint into Marine Green?

TIA

Don't know about precise shades for the Yards & Docks colors used by the Marines for secondary camouflage. As for the base color, jeeps and trucks built for USMC contracts were delivered in Forest Green, according to surviving contracts and other records, but nobody has turned up records saying explicitly whether USMC tanks were Olive Drab or green. The consensus among modelers has usually erred in favor of No. 9 Olive Drab. The USMC Green used in WW2 corresponded to FS34079. In the 1950's it was FS34052.
 _GOTOTOP