_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
BT-7 Tamiya 1/35 (wip)
Russiankaliber
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hello friends.

I want to share with you my work in progress for this awesome Tamiya kit of BT-7.

Ive been eyeballing it at my local hobby shop for a while, and finally couldnt resist buying it. It had to be mine.

As with most newer Tamiya models, this one is so awesome to work with. It came together like a fine sandwich Not sure if this sounds right, but maybe some of you will understand.

For Painting, I used Tamiya paints with a little bit of retarder. Tamiya paints are great, but until I learned that you can mix them with its own Laquer thinner, or better yet even with Mr. Leveling Thinner, I was never satisfied with the result. It felt "dry", kind of "dusty" after it dried. And boy do Tamiya's dry fast.

After applying basic green, I decided to give it some quick and dirty modulation. Nothing crazy, no special masks. Just some highlights and shadows.

Once dried, I sprayed it with my favorite clear coat "Vallejo Satin Varnish" the rattle can one. Very good product, but has slight ammonia smell to it, not too bad if you grew up in Russia like me. Beautiful real man smell.

After a basic AK Interactive wash for green vehicles, I faded the model with oils. I really like Holbein Artists color brand. It has a very fine pigment, and blends nicely.

Chipping was done with AK Interactive chipping color.

Streaking was also with AK Streaking Grime.

This was my first time applying mud after watching a few Mig videos lol, and I think it came out decent.

So its almost there as far as the painting goes, just need to do a pass on dusting and engine oil. But for the next 2 weekends I need to try to find some time to finish the damn tracks. They are soo tiny.

update very soon

thank you my friends.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:43 AM UTC
Great looking BT-7.
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 05:47 PM UTC
Nice paint job and weathering. I like it very much.

Paweł
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:03 PM UTC
Beautiful work, so far. The upper hull needs more dust, though, to unify it with the look of the suspension. Having spent such effort on pre-shading the green paint, it will seem a shame, but it's necessary if the vehicle is going to look real.
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:19 PM UTC
You do some excellent paint work Roman!
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:25 PM UTC
excellent job; I like the metaphor of a "fine sandwich;" good description of the ease and fit overall of Tamiya kits; keep up the good work
 _GOTOTOP