_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pulling the Reich back
freddietello
Visit this Community
Alicante, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC

Having built the tractor version of the D7 I decided to start inmediately with the bulldozer version equipped with the LeTourneau WCK-7 blade, the newest kit of Mirror Models.
The kits builds without serious complications, and I would just advice to test the coincidence of the parts and unions before gluing.

The instructions book suggest us to beggin with the engine, nicely detailed, in which we will add the first photoetched parts that are included in the kit.

Following with the transmission and the radiator we reach the tractor chassis to which we glue the engine, at this stage I decided to start painting before having any problems to reach hidden parts.

The next phase was to build the boogies that include the big metal springs, if we use the covering plates they won't be seen.

When fixing the idler, sprocket and boogies to the chassis, the tractor beggin taking shape.

We add the driving station with the photoetched platform. Meanwhile the glue cures we can start building the blade.

We add the side platforms and fix the photoetched anti-slip surfaces with some white glue.
Before covering the engine we can start the weathering process, for that I used the Vallejo rust set mixing the rust colours "al fresco"

Once glued the seat and the blade structure I airbrushed an overall layer of Olive drab primer.

Then with a lighter green colour I applied a filter diluted 50% at the most visible zones.

ėmg]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xjrNomDXwlI/VUB8QFdIN3I/AAAAAAAATbQ/DHlZjPHxqow/s1600/_MG_7944.JPG[/img]

And inmediately after another filter using white acrylic wash creating a zenithal ilumination.

For the blade extreme rusted surface I used again the rust tones of the Vallejo set using the sponge technique.

After some earth tone washes and adding some pigment and mud at the lower parts of the vehicle I called it finished and put it on one of the new FCmodeltips grunge bases
The flag at the pole is another new FCmodeltips item, is a paper decal that is easily adaptable to un uneven surface or can be modeled with the hands, you can see them here.
http://www.fcmodeltrend.com/calcas-lp-1-50-familia-3/

I enjoyed this kit very much and I´m willing to start with the angled dozer and the armoured versions.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 07:21 AM UTC
It looks really nice. Thank you for showing the build process and what you did to finish the kit. I really need to get one of these.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 07:38 AM UTC
Just got mine yesterday from Sprue Bros...really nice looking kit with very sharp moulding. Love the sponge effect on the blade, looks great.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:42 AM UTC
Great work! It's nice to see manufacturers producing these dozer kits. My Mom's dad was a combat engineer in WWII and operated heavy equipment like this. You did a wonderful job on this build.

Jeff
Axis23
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:33 AM UTC
That is a super job on that dozer!.. The only critique I will add is I think you meant "Pushing the reich back!" on the title of your thread.
freddietello
Visit this Community
Alicante, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a super job on that dozer!.. The only critique I will add is I think you meant "Pushing the reich back!" on the title of your thread.

Hi Josh

You're absolutely right, my mistake. I really wanted to mean "pushing" that's what happens when your writing too fast ( and in another language ) ha ha.
tigersix
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC
Lovely work, I to must get one of these. especially like the base idea.
Les
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 12:43 AM UTC
great job! Fantastic painting work
Terry
 _GOTOTOP