_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A1 hull differences
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 03:37 PM UTC
Just wondering, were there any differences in the M4A1 hull casting in regards to overall dimensions? I know there were some minor changes but how about the width of the upper part of the hull and the cast hoods (non DV)?
The reason I ask is that I have a Resicast and Tasca M4A1 hulls and there are marked differences in some dimensions. Is this down to kit inaccuracies by one of the manufacturers?

Gary
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hmmm - not sure if there was supposed to be any significant known variation. I seem to recall the ancient Dragon "M4A1 Early" kit (#6048?) had a hull that was too wide and "boxy" at the top according to the experts, so it depends on where Resicast got their pattern from. Personally I'd be inclined to trust the Tasca/Asuka hull as being correct.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Tom

Thanks. Confirms what I suspected. Make sense that they probably used an old DML hull as it is like you say - 'too boxy'.
I'm building the DD version but using a Tasca hull as it's better detailed and the size differences really show when it comes to fitting the flotation screen. Lots of filler required!

Gary
 _GOTOTOP