_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Italeri: WoT, more tanks re-unleashed?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC

Italeri continue with the World of Tanks theme in a big way this month. Several 1/35 kits have been repackaged with glue, special WoT decals, posters of new artwork, and 1 month free WoT membership. None of these kits are new of course, in fact some are ancient, but if it brings more folks to the hobby…

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:01 PM UTC
As an IPMS/AMPS judge, these vehicles will have problems on the contest table...real vehicles with 'fake' markings...fantasy category??
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:09 PM UTC
The Leo is their 1A2 kit (no turret applique armour) - be interesting to see what they price them at.
Scottosaurus
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:14 PM UTC
No problems at an AMPS show - hypothetical/fictional.
Scouteyes
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:14 PM UTC
Just make a new category, Fantasy, Game-based, whatever. If it draws new people to the hobby, find a way to make them welcome.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:24 PM UTC
I missed this when looking at the Italeri site, but it is definitely worth a look... Entertaining.

Italeri WoT 2015
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:26 PM UTC
Would be nice if the decals were offered separately, and outside the EU. Many of the kits are old and really do not represent the vehicles in game. As said earlier anything that brings more people into this hobby is good.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:49 AM UTC
Italeri's Leopard originated as a Leopard 1A4 in 1977. The cast turret versions only came out about twenty years later. It was (and is) a pretty good kit, the best Leopard available until this past year or so, when Meng and Takom jumped in. Italeri's Panther is an oddity--Italeri's Panther A lower hull and turret mated to Dragon's original (1994) Panther Ausf F upper hull (which was actually a G, anyway). The combo is indeed a G, but it shares the original problems of Italeri's Panther A parts. Since Italeri is charging Dragon prices these days, it makes more sense to buy a Dragon "Smart Kit" Panther anyway.
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an IPMS/AMPS judge, these vehicles will have problems on the contest table...real vehicles with 'fake' markings...fantasy category??

That has no bearing on whether or not one can make it into a great model.

I for one like the look of these kits. I wonder what the price points will be.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 11:51 AM UTC
Maybe I could use a few Leo 1 hulls for some PSM turrets .... Otherwise I don't know WoT I would use these for ;-) http://www.perfect-scale.de/www-perfect-scale-de-3/Leopard-1A5-Turm.html / Robin
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:32 PM UTC
As it's been mentioned a couple of times, the price for these kits is 39.90 Euros, except the T-34 which is €34.90.

Already in the same range are Chaffee and Sherman at €29.90, and Tiger and Ferdinand at €39.90. The Ferdy is of course what they used to market as the Tiger (P) Elefant, an oldie that was subject of a review by Tom not that long ago - 50% if I recall...

Note that Italeri are only marketing these in Europe. Given the cost of postage from the Italeri online shop, which is eye watering ( especially if you're in Switzerland for some reason), it wouldn't make sense to send them any further than that! Note that orders over €50 are free p&p however, so two kits makes more sense...
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:38 PM UTC
Ouch! At roughly £30 I'll pass. (Unbuilt Italeri/Revell Leo kits can be had for £10 second-hand around here...) If I was to invest £30 or more I'd want something better, like the new MENG kits.

Still, good luck to 'em!
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:29 PM UTC
Well, if they re-market kits in WoT themes, they really should include upgrades for the elited version of the tanks. The Panther looks wicked with the 7,5 cm Kw.K. L/100 gun.
SDavies
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:28 PM UTC
It will draw them into the hobby but may be in the wrong way, selling them rebadged ancient kits at modern kit prices will bring new people into the hobby long enough to piss them off

Stunning box art though
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It will draw them into the hobby but may be in the wrong way, selling them rebadged ancient kits at modern kit prices will bring new people into the hobby long enough to piss them off

Stunning box art though

Another great standard to prove my previous point...for the contest table, neophytes will be paying for plastic well below modern standards as just another 'pig with lipstick'.

If Testors wants to re-release all their older kits with simply new box art, they are doing a disservice to the modeler...old and new! Deceptive?

Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just make a new category, Fantasy, Game-based, whatever. If it draws new people to the hobby, find a way to make them welcome.

This is the smartest reply to anything ive seen here in awhile. The hobby is hurting and this would be the best thing to help revitalize it. If one sees one of these kits on the judging table and doesnt score because of markings, that persons interest has been killed.

Make a new category. Love it.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is the smartest reply to anything ive seen here in awhile. The hobby is hurting and this would be the best thing to help revitalize it. If one sees one of these kits on the judging table and doesnt score because of markings, that persons interest has been killed.

Make a new category. Love it.

I've always judged to the merit of the kit and it's quality of build. The markings would determine the category to which the piece belonged. I think it's obvious to us, for illustration purposes, that a T-34, 1943 series, would generally be in the WW2 section, while a T-34, 1943 series, modified post WW2 would belong in a 1946 - Present category. A 1943 series T-34 with WoT markings in a fantasy/hypothetical category. Point being: in the past the T-34 I've mentioned would be limited to two categories, and now with the WoT games generating modeling as well as gaming, a third category is opened to the individual who otherwise may not see their work entered or displayed. New blood to the hobby, , is always welcomed!

What would be even better is the decal makers produce separate WoT game decals...giving the individual choice of kit for application, and not be limited to Testors/Italeri!
 _GOTOTOP