_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Crab .30 cal
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:07 AM UTC
I'm currently in the process of building a Sherman Crab using a Tasca M4A4 and Resicast conversion set.
Despite numerous searches on the net and through some of my books, I have been unable to find a definitive answer regarding the bow gunner's .30 cal.
Was it left in place with the flail equipment fitted? If so, would it more than likely have a canvas cover over it? If it was removed, what, if anything was used to cover the hole left?

Here's where I'm currently up to...

TIA
Gary
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 02:26 PM UTC
Gary

First off,that is a fantastic build!! very clean,love the textured 3 piece and the casting numbers,that is one heck of a job!!

The problem is that pretty much all of the pictures Ive seen of Crabs,you can't see the bow gun!The very nature of the flail drive means that whole area is obscured unless it's a 'top down' picture,and those are non existent! I don't believe that they used a blanking plate (like in the Firefly conversions) as there were no extra shell stowage bins meaning the .30 cal wouldve remained in place,but the debris guard made the .30 practically redundant so.........

I personally think your best bet would be to keep the .30 in place,but seeing as you've all ready got the waterproof mantlet cover on,bung a cover on the MG as well,kinda like a 'Crab thats just hit the beach' look but having said that I'm sure that someone is now going to post that perfect pic that will confirm or deny the presence or absence of the .30 cal bow gun (never say never with Shermans!)

And beautiful work on the .50 cal on the turret,but I hate to say it but if you're doing a British Crab,again my (limited) references tend to show Crabs with the .50 removed (but see my last point about never say never!)

Good Work Fella,looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:13 PM UTC
According to Wikipedia (for what it's worth ) "The hull machine gun was removed, as the blast shield and flail blocked its field of fire."

H.P.
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:27 PM UTC
Frenchy!! no pics? u disappoint me! if anyone would have any it would be you! blimey,they must be as rare as hens teeth then!

Well,if Wikipedia says so,then yeah! makes sense,put the .30 cals where they're most needed and that debris guard is pretty big so yeah,take that gun out and leave the ball mount,surely if the tank was needed elsewhere (and the Crab kit removed) then leaving the ball mount in place would mean you could just slip the MG back in place.....

every days a schoolday

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frenchy!! no pics? u disappoint me! if anyone would have any it would be you! blimey,they must be as rare as hens teeth then!

Hi Steve

I can tell you I've searched high and low before posting

H.P.

iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:19 PM UTC
Very nice build, I can't answer the lap gun question though, like you say, it's not easy to find photographic evidence. I have one question though. The muzzle cover, it looks like it's designed for a 6pdr with a counterweight.......
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:56 PM UTC
I don't think removing the Crab kit was a quick job and even if done (I have seen a photo of one with the arms removed), it would be a waste to deploy the vehicle as a gun tank when it could be refitted with flail kit much more easily than a gun tank could and it will have a flail-trained crew. After all, it has a hole in the side and a PTO from the driveshaft, so it's hardly an LAD task to make up a Crab.
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC
What about this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherman-Crab-Flail-Tank-Vanguard/dp/1846030846
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Thank you for all the responses everyone. Much appreciated.

Steve - the mantlet cover isn't meant to be waterproof - it's there to keep duet and debris out. The idea of a canvas cover for the bow MG is a sensible one so better get the putty out!
As for the .50 cal, the first page of the book Willem refers to shows a British crab with one mounted.

Steve - the muzzle cover comes from a Resicast set designed for a Sherman 75mm gun. Period photos back this up.

Gary
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
Maybe try digging up pictures of the one they have at the Bovington museum. This is the closest I could find:

http://www.d-daytanks.org.uk/images/exhibits/4233-G-4.jpg

This one looks to have nothing installed

https://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/20mm-d-day-funnies-79th-armd-division-sherman-crab-and-churchill-crocodiles/
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC
Gary-
no problem,if indeed most of my info did turn out to be erroneous! but to be fair,in my defence,I did say "never say never" ...... just my way to err on the side of caution.......

Continue with that build,let us know how you get on with that resin conversion kit

gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 02:41 AM UTC
Don't worry Steve. To be fair, .50 cals weren't carried by British tanks that much in NWE. If you want to see more of this build, pop acros to http://www.plasticarmour.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=702

Willem - like H.P., I've searched high and low without any luck. I do think that a canvas cover is the way to go. And teh lack of photographic evidence means no one can say it's wrong

Gary
 _GOTOTOP