_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
LVT-4 color
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:08 AM UTC
What is the light color on this LVT-4 from Iwo Jima. Footage is at about 22 seconds? Sand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C5LP_zV3Ak

AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
The first 20 or so seconds of the video are LVT(A)4s of 2D Armored Amphibian Battalion. I have their unit history book that provides all sorts of original orders concerning Operation Detachment but there is not any detailed description to their unique camouflage. I did one of these several years ago and decided to use Navy camouflage colors, similar to what is seen on camouflaged LSTs and PT boats. Couple books I’ve read, biographies of AmTrac’rs from WWII said they would head to the Navy supply to pick up paint to touch up their LVTs, that’s what led me to using Navy camouflage colors. Those would have been available when in garrison, and to some extent when embarked aboard ships. Various other videos on CriticalPast.com also show many of these tractors had about the lower third of the vehicle painted gray as well. I went on the assumption that 2D Armored left the topside of their LVT(A)4s in the gray they may have left the factory wearing.

Here is how mine turned out after studying piles and piles of photos and videos. These four sit in the WWII/Korea LVT Museum. All 1/72, the LVT-4 was a bear because I had to move the A-driver's hatch forward to represent an early model armored cab.

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 03:27 AM UTC
Daniel, thanks for the info. I will keep going through the videos. The models look great!
 _GOTOTOP