_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Asuka Model M4 Sherman
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC
Looks like the Asuka/Tasca M4 is getting closer to release. It will have the D50878 turret from their Firefly kits but without all the British modifications. This will also be included with the M4 composite as a future release as well.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10337291/10/0
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:29 PM UTC
Great announcement, wish they'd go back to the old "Tasca" name though.
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:40 PM UTC
Just be thankfull that they are going to release new Sherman kits. Their chief designer left awhile ago which probably delayed the release. The M4 was the next logical release since they were about 90% there. The photoetch fret in the M4A1 kits even had M4/M4A1 written on them indicating that they planned to release it at some point.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be thankfull that they are going to release new Sherman kits.

Well of course they are. Their Shermans made up close to 90% of Tasca's release so they can't stop making variant of the tank and still remain make enough profit to stay afloat, even if they lost a designer who could easily be replaced with the literal thousands of experts on the M4 in Japan alone.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
Why should they use the Tasca name? They are clearly a new company, albeit with Tasca roots. Plus, anyone who is knowledgeable about the products knows the quality.

I don't care what they call themselves as long as it's nothing offensive.

Hope to get my hands on an M4, soon.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:10 PM UTC
What's important to note is that this kit represents an M4 built by the Pullman Standard Car Co. And the markings are historically accurate for a known Pullman built M4 Sherman.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:21 PM UTC
I've certainly set a few pennies aside for when I can get my hands on one

Gary
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. . . even if they lost a designer who could easily be replaced with the literal thousands of experts on the M4 in Japan alone.

Right. Sure. Uh-huh.

KL
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:07 PM UTC
^I missed that, Kurt.

Timothy: I think you're mistaking armchair historian/wargamer/military fan with actual design/molding professionals.

As for M4 experts, there are probably a couple dozen world wide that I'd trust to advise on Asuka M4 subjects.

OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 03:16 AM UTC
I could do with a separate lower hull from their M4 Composite release.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:44 PM UTC
Another very welcome release (and the composite to come)
Al
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 12:55 PM UTC
I'd lke to get one
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why should they use the Tasca name? They are clearly a new company, albeit with Tasca roots. Plus, anyone who is knowledgeable about the products knows the quality.

They are using Tasca molds..Asuka probably never molded a dam thing lol
IMO I believe Tasca failed , the prices of their kits were too high...I built about 3 Tasca's...nothing special just that their chassis was a bugger to align right with so many pieces to the lower chassis. My fault though, I rushed threw it.
Dragon kits were just as good, with some inaccuracies but if you don't care then..you don't care .
If Tasca did it right & lowered their prices, they would still be around today. Maybe they should have started molding German tanks & competed with Dragon for the Market share...I bet they would have come out with some good molds.
Buy this kit, its pretty good.Eduard with Tasca molds.

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 07:04 PM UTC
That's very incorrect; Asuka sells tons of toys components besides models. Tasca's Pz IIL kits are the top of the line. Even before Tasca got bought out, their kit prices were the equivalent to a new DML release.

Why Tasca didn't do well, can only be speculation. They ventured into the 1/24 realm with 2 German and one US subject -- these failed miserably according to retailers. Heck, we don't even know that it WAS doing poorly. It may have been doing great and that's the reason Asuka acquired them.

Regardless, more kits are hitting the 1/35 market and that's the relevant point of discussion.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's very incorrect; Asuka sells tons of toys components besides models. Tasca's Pz IIL kits are the top of the line. Even before Tasca got bought out, their kit prices were the equivalent to a new DML release.

Why Tasca didn't do well, can only be speculation. They ventured into the 1/24 realm with 2 German and one US subject -- these failed miserably according to retailers. Heck, we don't even know that it WAS doing poorly. It may have been doing great and that's the reason Asuka acquired them.

Regardless, more kits are hitting the 1/35 market and that's the relevant point of discussion.

To All Concerned- I agree with the above...

The latest M4 thru M4A3E8-series kits from DRAGON compare VERY FAVORABLY to ANY of the TASCA and/or ASUKA Shermans- Yes, there are some real flaws that need corrections and/or modifications with the M4-series kits from BOTH manufacturers. Why do you suppose that Pat Stansell is devoting SO MUCH TIME to AMPERSAND's upcoming "Son of Sherman" book? In addition, why would FORMATIONS and THE NEW TMD provide so many "corrections", updates and conversion parts to fit BOTH ASUKA/TASCA AND DRAGON Sherman kits? Honorable mentions also go to BLAST in this respect.

I have built both DRAGON and ASUKA/TASCA M4A1/M4-series and related kits, and I find the differences between them to be negligible.

What kind of modellers would we ALL be if we didn't modify and/or correct the various imperfections in ANY kit? Why do you suppose that there are SO MANY aftermarket companies out there to cater to our needs? It's not because plastic models are already "perfect" straight out of the box, I assure you. What sort of testament to our modelling skills would it be if we never had to correct and/or modify ANYTHING?

Personally, I haven't built anything "straight-out-of-the-box since I was about 8 years old, and I suppose I never will- There is ALWAYS room for improvement in ANY kit, no matter how good that kit may be.

I'm glad that we have ASUKA/TASCA AND DRAGON Shermans...

I don't know about you guys, but if you took some time and looked for a while, you can get DRAGON AND ASUKA/TASCA kits on ebay, Craigslist, or at Kits 'N' Things for decent pricing...
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC
@Dennis: Is it really necessary to fully capitalise every single important word in your post?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Dennis: Is it really necessary to fully capitalise every single important word in your post?

I CAPITALIZE for emphasis alone. I will continue to do so. Thanks for noticing...
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC
How far along is that second SoS book does anyone know? Looking forward to adding it to my references stash.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They are using Tasca molds..Asuka probably never molded a dam thing lol
IMO I believe Tasca failed , the prices of their kits were too high...I built about 3 Tasca's...nothing special just that their chassis was a bugger to align right with so many pieces to the lower chassis. My fault though, I rushed threw it.
Dragon kits were just as good, with some inaccuracies but if you don't care then..you don't care .
If Tasca did it right & lowered their prices, they would still be around today. Maybe they should have started molding German tanks & competed with Dragon for the Market share...I bet they would have come out with some good molds.
Buy this kit, its pretty good.Eduard with Tasca molds.

That statement is packed full of misinformation.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How far along is that second SoS book does anyone know? Looking forward to adding it to my references stash.

I've emailed jeff@ampersand more than just a few times with precisely the same question. Each time, Jeff has courteously emailed me back, informing me that the "Son of Sherman" book is a work that is still "In progress" and that we will ALL be informed when the book is ready via official Ampersand announcements, i.e- keep your eyes open by watching the hobby sites, emails, (that is, if you've ever emailed Jeff), and also watching for ads in the various hobby magazines...

This book is DEFINITELY in my future...
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 03:39 AM UTC
I heard that Tamiya bought 2 of the Tasca molds, and that Eduard bought 1. Not sure if that is true. The Asuka 'E8
looks a lot like the Tamiya 'E8.

The early M4 looks nice, so does the Composite Firefly. I hope Asuka does well, and re-releases the M4A2 series.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard that Tamiya bought 2 of the Tasca molds, and that Eduard bought 1. Not sure if that is true. The Asuka 'E8

The early M4 looks nice, so does the Composite Firefly. I hope Asuka does well, and re-releases the M4A2 series.

Yes, the Tamiya E8 is the Tasca E8, but neither Tamiya nor Eduard “bought” the molds from Tasca/Asuka.

Both Tamiya and Eduard bought bagged kits from Asuka and packaged them in their own boxes respectively.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, the Tamiya E8 is the Tasca E8, but neither Tamiya nor Eduard “bought” the molds from Tasca/Asuka.

Both Tamiya and Eduard bought bagged kits from Asuka and packaged them in their own boxes respectively.

Thanks, that makes sense.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

TAMIYA has been doing that for years, so it comes as no surprise that they would do so with a really great TASCA kit. EDUARD has been doing this for quite a while, especially with 1/48 aircraft. Where EDUARD shines is that they add resin and PE kits to the kits that they have bought from other manufacturers- Personally, I like the idea that EDUARD has been doing so...
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 08:26 PM UTC
Tasca/Asuka Sherman's are leaps and bounds bettter than Dragon offerings in terms of accuracy, fit, fidelity, and detail. Comparing them side by side makes the Dragon kits look even worse.

The price of Tasca kits was the fault of their US distributer, Pacmodels.
 _GOTOTOP