_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML M4A4 kit #6041 Q's
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 05:19 AM UTC
I bought a DML #6041 w/60lb rockets off Ebay and have been searching the web about it. There are some several old threads that have links to more info on correcting the kit but they are all dead links. Does anyone here have one of these kits?

I know I'll find out soon enough but I don't know if the turret can be built without the rocket launchers or even if I can substitute the 75mm barrel with a 17lb'er.

I ordered a set of AFV club vinyl tracks for it too.

Any input would be appreciated
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 06:53 AM UTC
You can omit the rockets to make a normal 75mm gun tank -- that's not a problem whatsoever. If you want to upgrade it to a 17pdr, you'd need a barrel, new mantlet, turret bustle extension, square hatch for loader, armor plug for hull MG.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought a DML #6041 w/60lb rockets off Ebay and have been searching the web about it. There are some several old threads that have links to more info on correcting the kit but they are all dead links. Does anyone here have one of these kits?

I know I'll find out soon enough but I don't know if the turret can be built without the rocket launchers or even if I can substitute the 75mm barrel with a 17lb'er.

I ordered a set of AFV club vinyl tracks for it too.

Any input would be appreciated

I don't memorize DML stock numbers, so I don't know how ancient the kit is. Without any fanfare, Dragon has incrementally improved their Sherman kits over the years, so the current M4A4 'Orange Box' Cyber Hobby kit has very little to do with the kits sold 18 years ago. The parts count is higher and the detail much finer on the current boxings.
If your kit has the upswept return roller mounts, it's an old one. For starters, the suspension needs to be replaced with one with horizontal roller brackets, as M4A4 production ended months before the upswept brackets were introduced. The lower hull is overly long, and should be sawed off even with the rear edge of the access panel on the belly plate. The turret opening for the gun is too high, and the opening needs to be shimmed on the top and carved out on the bottom. The weld joints on the hull should be proud, not recessed. And I'd recommend the usual replacement of chunky plastic bits with photo etch, if you are so inclined. All of these errors have since been fixed, apart from the recessed weld joints.
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers guys. I got the kit, see exactly what you're talking about on the turret mantlet too high and lower hull being too long.

And you're right again, the rocket launcher is its own kit so I don't have to use it.

Some pics just incase someone has an older Dragon kit and want to see the flaws mentioned above.

JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 02:20 AM UTC
Okay, I think I already screwed up.

Instead of reading the directions 1st I started on the turret by using the M34 mantlet. I then attached what is clear to me to be the Firefly Radio Box for the back of the turret.

Would this box ever have been installed on a Brit 75mm turret? The instructions I have are only for the chinese M4A4 and do not include using the Radio/Bustle. I've only seen pics of it on Fireflys
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 06:54 AM UTC
Almost every British M4A4 had a turret box for stowage of crew kit. The kit has one on the Rocket sprues from memory, cannot recall it having one for the firefly - a picture may help to clarify which one you have used. it looks like this:
http://s256.photobucket.com/user/tankbarrell/media/ready1.jpg.html#/user/tankbarrell/media/ready1.jpg.html?&_suid=1439430956193010952304301695542
Al
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I think I already screwed up.

Instead of reading the directions 1st I started on the turret by using the M34 mantlet. I then attached what is clear to me to be the Firefly Radio Box for the back of the turret.

Would this box ever have been installed on a Brit 75mm turret? The instructions I have are only for the chinese M4A4 and do not include using the Radio/Bustle. I've only seen pics of it on Fireflys

If it's the Firefly radio box, saw it off and sand down the damage--the only reason for the box was that the long recoil travel of the 17 pounder gun would have smashed the radio in the standard position. The box was never fitted to 75 mm tanks. If it is indeed the radio box, it will have three small access ports on the top.

If it is a bustle stowage box, it will have hinges, and a diagonal (or possibly horizontal) join on the side where the lid meets the side panels. There were several patterns, but they were broadly similar, and these were widely used on 75 mm gun tanks.

Here are some reference links for the M4A4:

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/firefly.htm

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a4/m4a4_variants.html
 _GOTOTOP