_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Jeep for wargaming
PatrickG
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hello,

I've been investigating 1/72 scale jeeps for wargaming, and am considering an S-Models or an Italeri kit.
However, I was wondering if perhaps someone more knowledgeable could recommend a good kit. The main criteria are that it should be capable of mounting a gun and reasonably easy to build. Bonus points if it is inexpensive and comes with a decent crew.

Level of detail/accuracy/etc are secondary in this case.

Thanks
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hellers 1/72 Jeep includes a crew, 30cal gun, trailer and a decent amount of stowage. Airfix reboxed it a few years ago too. Academy do one in a triple set with a Kubel and Kettenkraftrad, but not sure if it includes any guns or crew.
The current Airfix Jeep is slightly smaller at 1/76 scale, but has a ton of optional extras. These include Browning 30 and 50 cal mg's, twin Vickers K's, towed 75mm pack howitzer, trailer and air drop pallets to fit the Jeep into. An outstanding kit, but no crew and maybe smaller than you may want.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:20 PM UTC
S-Models is your best bet. They have a few Jeep kits: one with .50 cal and wire cutter; one with .50 cal towing trailer; one with .50 cal towing 37mm AT gun. All come 2 kits in the box. Judging from other S-Model models I've bought (1/700 ships) they have great detail, easy to build, look great, and are not expensive. No crew figures however. Most of their kits also include some PE - not sure about the Jeeps, though.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC
1/72nd scale Jeeps reviews :

http://braillejeepblog.blogspot.sg/

H.P.
PatrickG
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 - 10:12 AM UTC
I'm going to look at picking up a heller kit, and in the meantime pick up a box of the s-models with 37mm, which should give my platoon a bit more power on the tabletop.
For crew I'm going to order from capitan (warmodeller?) To get drivers, gunners, and gun crew. It would be better if they came unpainted, but it'll give me close to the exact number needed (I dislike having excessive spares) and look about right.

Might omit some of the small details of the jeeps, but improvise wirecutters.

Thanks for the advice.
 _GOTOTOP