_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
repainting models
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
How many modellers, after discovering that a paint job is crappy, or too dark after weathering, etc., strip down the model as much as possible, and repaint? Paint stripping after oil washes, etc. become more difficult, and usually damaging to PE bits. Or would they rather buy a new kit and start from scratch? (Assuming the kit doesn't cost 100 bucks!).
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC
I have repainted some models a few times before. one in particular was painted 3 or 4 times. I've never stripped a model of paint but instead I just painted over the previous layer.
However, i once tried to take a model costing £10 apart and strip it off paint until i was told i was just wasting time and i would be better off getting a new model
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 11:51 PM UTC
I always think my models end up great, but after a few months/years I suddenly realize sometimes one of them is actually really crap. It then goes straight to the garbage bin.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC
Reason I'm asking is that I built Academy's M10 a few years ago. Did some interior and exterior detailing with PE, resin, and scratch. Painted it with Tamiya OD, but didn't lighten it for scale. After black oil wash and weathering, it's way too dark. Just haven't decided if it's worth buying the new Academy kit, and Eduard's PE, and start over, or try stripping and repainting. Don't really want to paint over the previous job, and decals - that will look crappy! Seeing as it has a very visible interior, that will complicate repainting - especially after final assembly.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
put model in bowl. spray with oven cleaner and leave overnight. In morning using a soft tooth brush wash with clean water holding model over bowl to catch any small PE and other pieces that come off. Leave for a few days in a warm spot to dry off.

This removes almost all the paint in the first go but sometimes you need to repeat the process. You do need to watch out for loose parts as the oven cleaner will often de-bond PE.

Then reassemble the model and paint again
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 02:35 AM UTC
I've stripped and repainted models on numerous occasions. It's very easy if you use acrylics, a little tougher with enamels. I've used easy off oven cleaner, simple green degreaser and just plain bleach ( all used separately, not mixed!!) simple Green is what I normally use. It doesn't seem to affect the plastic or photo etch. I soak it as long as needed, then use an old toothbrush to scrub the paint off.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC
I have stripped a model down to bare plastic, using lacquer thinner. You have to be very careful, with anything secured by super glue. On older builds, I normally just go back over it with primer and weather the appropriate areas. I just sold a Sherman that went through this process.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 06:33 AM UTC
If you have the funds and time to do a new build then go for it. If otherwise I'd vote
+1 on Simple Green. Soak overnight and brush off over runnng water. Had no issues with either Tamiya enamel or acrylic. It's said to be non-toxic, bio-degradable thus safer to use. Cheers
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:08 AM UTC
I have few tanks made more than 25 years ago, and when I compare them with my actual models after years of experience, they look ''strange''. But I keep as they are becouse they make me remember when I was young
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 08:43 AM UTC
usually, I feel great after the paint job and weathering,but after few months,after one hard look, I realized it was lousy paint job,I just has to repaint all over again.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 02:36 PM UTC

Hi,

Quoted Text

usually, I feel great after the paint job and weathering,but after few months,after one hard look, I realized it was lousy paint job,I just has to repaint all over again.

This is normal, because we are never satisfied and we want always improve.

_GOTOTOP