_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SAS jeep
maverick60EDF
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi everybody! Trying to pick up this hobby again after a while again, kit was Tamiya, as seen on pics. Some AM from Eduard and Legend. Right now im in a phase where just some first coats of paint are on. Still to come, some wear and tear.

Cheers
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:55 AM UTC
Looking good. I used the Legend set and found it to be superb with lots of bits left over. I used the Black Dog set as well as I built three of them. I bought the Legend set off ebay and there was only one set of bits but that and the Black Dog set I did three jeeps lol. I don't know about you but I really struggled on the twin Vickers K getting the flat bits on. I think I'd do the seats a different colour though. They're a bit bright and I've not seen any jeep seats that colour but there could be some. I like it mate.
maverick60EDF
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:58 PM UTC
I liked the legend set, that was actually my first experience with resin. Well seats look a bit bright yeah, the idea is to kind of tone down the colors with lighter shades of paints.... some dusting and weathering will take care of that hopefully
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:15 PM UTC
Looks great Maverick.
Tend to agree with Karl.Maybe Kaki or earth brown would be better.I was going to order a couple more myself today.A really good kit for $9 online.
Maybe you guys can tell me where I've seen a SAS figure set that has figures for three jeeps and a standing commander? They were taken from an actual photo I've seen. Cant recall,Dragon,MB ,etc.

Tom
maverick60EDF
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Maybe you guys can tell me where I've seen a SAS figure set that has figures for three jeeps and a standing commander? They were taken from an actual photo I've seen. Cant recall,Dragon,MB ,etc...

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/dml/kit_dml_6682.shtml
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:40 AM UTC
THANKYOU.

Tom
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 06:09 PM UTC
Verlinden produced an almost identical set decades ago.

It was a very comprehensive set and everything went together well.

It might be still available and well priced comparison.

Nice set though.

Keith.
maverick60EDF
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
So here is the finished subject:

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
Nice work on your jeep!

I had read that the SAS in Africa ran with their tires partly flat in order to get better traction in the sand, but the wheels in the upgrade don't seem to reflect that. Can anyone comment on that with any level of authority?

Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on your jeep!

I had read that the SAS in Africa ran with their tires partly flat in order to get better traction in the sand, but the wheels in the upgrade don't seem to reflect that. Can anyone comment on that with any level of authority?

I can't say what the SAS might have done but this was certainly SOP for jeepers in the California desert in the 1960s & 1970s. The first thing we did on leaving the paved road was to twist the front hubs to ENGAGE and the second was to lower the tire pressure. This was in sandy areas. Hard surfaces and rocks needed more pressure to protect the sidewalls.
 _GOTOTOP