_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Stuart Honey Bellman
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
Academy 1/35 M3 Stuart "Honey" "Bellman" kit
Paint it on request of my wife...
When it was finish she ask to bring the tank to her desk @ work.
Now that i have to refuse her!
The favorite colour of a women is always Blue
If you men has the same favo the you have to much 46xx chromosome into your body

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
It looks very nice. Your wife should be happy. Will it be in a display box to protect it from being handled?
lentorpe
Visit this Community
Alava, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Rascar,
Very, very nice model. One question: Are you sure about the rubber in the idle wheel? Do the Academy kit instructions specify it?
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
excellent work; the weathering is fantastic
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 02:57 AM UTC
Rascar,

Looks good! If wife is happy, every one is happy!
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rascar,
Very, very nice model. One question: Are you sure about the rubber in the idle wheel? Do the Academy kit instructions specify it?

Hi,Inside the box you have 2 kinds of tracks.vinyll and link.
That time i hate to made link by link.and i known the vinyll are not correct!you are the only one that this notice.
I hope that was you question?
lentorpe
Visit this Community
Alava, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
Sorry Rascar, I hadnīt noticed your response before.
In fact I was not asking you about the tracks but about the rear wheel. Is it just steel, or does it has some rubber as the smaller road wheels have? I get contradictory info and no clear photos of that particular detail. Maybe your kitīs instructions clarify it?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:53 PM UTC
For the M3 Stuarts, the idler was all steel. There was an idler with a rubber tire made for the later M5 and M5A1 vehicles.

And while the blue is a terribly nice colour, these vehicles had no blue. The Caunter scheme colours were Light Stone (or Portland Stone), Silver Grey and Slate. The Silver Grey is what is being depicted as blue and it's not, it is actually a light grey-green colour.

There are a couple (really only 2 or 3) German colour photos from the period showing some trucks in caunter scheme with silver grey replaced by a blue, but there is no indication that any of the tanks were ever painted with anything other than silver grey.

Your Light Stone is too orange, as well, looking more like the old Humbrol Desert colour that was more a German/Afrika Korps colour than allied.

And while the weathering has been achieved nicely, the amount of rust is waaay too heavy. The camo colours would be relatively fragile, but these vehicles were painted in US OD underneath and if the camo wore off, the OD would be what you started to see instead. There is very, very little rust ever visible on US tanks even after years of service, the paint was that good.
Powder
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:07 AM UTC
That's great info Paul.
You must find it frustrating when Airfix & other manufacturers produce tens-of-thousands of models specifying blue paint.

In Rascar's defence, it was his wife that wanted a blue tank.
Experience tells me it's best not to argue in those situations.
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's great info Paul.
You must find it frustrating when Airfix & other manufacturers produce tens-of-thousands of models specifying blue paint.

Indeed!! never argue with your wife her wishes...
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

US OD underneath and if the camo wore off, the OD would be what you started to see instead. There is very, very little rust ever visible on US tanks even after years of service, the paint was that good.

I've been arguing this point for years. Glad to find someone who agrees. In addition to other factors one of the things that makes paint hard and durable is lead. Paint used in WWII still had a high lead content(unlike now prohibited)which made the paint very hard and durable indeed, and as a result rusting, especially rusting to any great degree as is sometimes depicted in modeling was rare. Combine that with the operational service life expectancy of an AFV(especially German) and the chance/time it would take for deep rust to develop was small indeed. Thanks again for echoing what I have believed for quite some time.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's great info Paul.

Actually, I gave up on getting frustrated with manufacturer's paint and marking suggestions years ago, I always assume them to be wrong at this point and do my own research.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Indeed!! never argue with your wife her wishes...

No, no, I totally understand. In that case blue is a perfect colour. Never mind me, carry on.

Happy wife = happy life (especially for us modelling nerds)

All the best.

Paul
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the M3 Stuarts, the idler was all steel. There was an idler with a rubber tire made for the later M5 and M5A1 vehicles.

And while the blue is a terribly nice colour, these vehicles had no blue. The Caunter scheme colours were Light Stone (or Portland Stone), Silver Grey and Slate. The Silver Grey is what is being depicted as blue and it's not, it is actually a light grey-green colour.

There are a couple (really only 2 or 3) German colour photos from the period showing some trucks in caunter scheme with silver grey replaced by a blue, but there is no indication that any of the tanks were ever painted with anything other than silver grey.

Your Light Stone is too orange, as well, looking more like the old Humbrol Desert colour that was more a German/Afrika Korps colour than allied.

And while the weathering has been achieved nicely, the amount of rust is waaay too heavy. The camo colours would be relatively fragile, but these vehicles were painted in US OD underneath and if the camo wore off, the OD would be what you started to see instead. There is very, very little rust ever visible on US tanks even after years of service, the paint was that good.

The rubber-tired Rear Idler was also a smaller diameter, and a stamped wheel. The steel-tired Rear Idler was of welded construction, for those that take an interest in such things. And yes, the rubber-tired Rear Idler came during 1944/45, in M5A1 and M8 HMC production, although many M5A1s and M8s served right up to VE and VJ days and beyond, with their steel-wheeled Rear Idlers still intact...

I heartily agree that the paint on US-made equipment was MUCH MORE DURABLE than the competition's, bar none. So was the general quality and reliability of US equipment. PERIOD!

However, as to color accuracy, I'm sure that Rascar used what information (probably the kit's erroneous painting instructions) that he had access to at the time of his build. IMO, I'm pretty sure that the SILVER-GRAY (LIGHT GRAY-GREEN) in the Caunter Scheme is the correct color to be used, but in wartime, as anyone with a bit of knowledge knows, sometimes what is handy is used, in lieu of what "official instructions" require... Let's remember that some sources state that certain Tiger Is and Pz.III Ausf.Ns in Tunisia were supposedly repainted in captured stocks of US OD... More likely, this might have been RAL8000...

As a personal preference, I go A LOT lighter with my own weathering of ANY military vehicle, though this is not meant to criticize Rascar's work.

_GOTOTOP