_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Primer colours - British, Rissian & USA (WW2)
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 06:27 AM UTC
Greetings

I realize that are lots of threads on this subject here and on the Internet; however, the information is in some cases is inaccurate which can cause confusion.

My aim is to consolidate this information and create a cheat sheet & publish here, so hopefully the question never needs asking again

American Armour - what was the primer colour used ?
Russian Armour - what was the primer colour used ?
British Armour - what was the primer colour used ?

Thanks, WilloW
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:59 AM UTC
I know you asked for WWII but this link is of help for those with post war British subjects. HERE
Primer for armour is BS632 Dark Admiralty Grey, also used for RN, RAF and Army & Marine non-armoured.
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:23 AM UTC
Oops your link leads to Master Box
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:34 AM UTC
But this can be futile -- for instance, American made parts had different primers depending on the manufacturing process or type of material. Sure, you had lots of items sprayed or dipped in red oxide -- but many small components had medium grey primers from their subcontractors too.
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But this can be futile -- for instance, American made parts had different primers depending on the manufacturing process or type of material. Sure, you had lots of items sprayed or dipped in red oxide -- but many small components had medium grey primers from their subcontractors too.

If you are concentrating on the small things - yes. However, I am referring to the armour chassis in general - not the hatches or inside, etc.

WilloW
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:20 AM UTC
If your plan is to show American armor with chipped paint and exposed primer you are into fantasy modeling, so you could pick any color you wanted and it would be just as realistic as the chipped paint.

KL
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know how that happened, but HERE should be the correct one.
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If your plan is to show American armor with chipped paint and exposed primer you are into fantasy modeling, so you could pick any color you wanted and it would be just as realistic as the chipped paint.

KL

Hi KL

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing - similar to several German models I have done with red primer chipping, etc.

Can you please enlarge on your comment further - why is this fantasy? Cheers, WilloW
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't know how that happened, but HERE should be the correct one.

Thanks for the link Luciano. Some really good info in there
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the information Luciano - some excellent data on post war undercoats. Cheers, WilloW
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:19 AM UTC
Iain: Kurt's note is that despite the current modelling fad to show chipped paint, exposing primer beneath -- this does not apply to US made armor (and may not have really applied to German armor either).

Regardless, the top coat on US made stuff was extremely tough. If you look carefully, what appears to be chipping is actually the exposed edges having DUST scraped/rubbed off by crews' hands and feet and possibly bushes and trees. In b/w photos, the dark color you see on the edges of US armor is often the base coat OD showing thru dust.
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Iain: Kurt's note is that despite the current modelling fad to show chipped paint, exposing primer beneath -- this does not apply to US made armor (and may not have really applied to German armor either).

Regardless, the top coat on US made stuff was extremely tough. If you look carefully, what appears to be chipping is actually the exposed edges having DUST scraped/rubbed off by crews' hands and feet and possibly bushes and trees. In b/w photos, the dark color you see on the edges of US armor is often the base coat OD showing thru dust.

Hi - Thanks for incite. It seems then that the overdone use of chipping with a primer base coat showing through is a tad on the fantasy side... it looks good, but that's about it.

Certainly, the vehicles I have seen (for real) have rust that may 'appear' to look like primer colours showing through in old photographs. The only exception is German armour which definitely, in some cases, can have primer showing through (I have seen this in several panzer wrecks I have seen in North Africa. The tanks were painted yellow over grey and the sand had sandblasted parts of the yellow and grey away leaving the base metal and primer - which was red oxide. However, I have no idea how long this took to occur as I saw the wrecks in the 90's).

I was attempting as much realism as possible in my painting technique. But, it appears that I maybe placing a little too much importance on the primer aspect. After-all, WW2 was only 5 years in duration and many vehicles were destroyed in a few months to a year or two.

Thanks, WilloW
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC
It's a modellers' myth that all German vehicles in N Africa were painted Dunkelgrau first. The initial arrivals from 5. Leichte Div. were and were repainted in theatre. However, once things were better organised, equipment designated for Tropen use was painted 8000/7008 over primer. This included those 38t hull Panzerjaeger with the Soviet 7.62cm guns and all the long barrelled Pz IIIs and IVs, among others.

The Dunkelgrau (and later the Tropen scheme colours) were applied in proper factories, so would have showed better resistance to the desert conditions than the colours applied in theatre - the same can be observed on locally repainted allied equipment such as U.S.-supplied M3 and M4 Mediums. Evidence for wear of the factory-applied finish is less good.
 _GOTOTOP