_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Italeri: Updated Funkwagen
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 02:37 PM UTC

Italeri has announced for December an upgrade of its Kfz. 15 Funkwagen kit.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 04:11 PM UTC
I am building Bronco kit now which is really impressive. This one is a toy in comparison
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 07:20 PM UTC
What Bronco kit is that? I have the ICM/IBG version.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Bill! I believe Roman is referring to the BRONCO CB35175 Kfz.12 kit. ITALERI's is a Kfz.15. On the surface, it appears that ITALERI has given this "NEW" kit a set of VINYL tires; the original kit had the wheels and tires molded in plastic, in halves, if memory serves. You watch- TAMIYA will "pirate" and RE-BOX this kit, and charge more money...

I think I still have one of these buried somewhere in my vast inventory of un-built kits. I built one of these back in 1977 or '78, in the earlier Panzer Grau scheme...

Great reference sources for WWII German Kfz. (Kraftfahrzeug) wheeled vehicles are the 2 SCHIFFER books "Cars of the Wehrmacht" and "Trucks of the Wehrmacht". They're LOADED with info and photos...

Are you referring to the ICM Horch 108 Typ 40? That's a much newer and more advanced vehicle than either the Horch Kfz.12 and Kfz.15 vehicles. Looks a lot different too, with a lower and wider radiator, right off the bat...
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:09 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Having recently picked up the "old" kit at a show, I can say the new parts are in that first sprue pic at the lower right corner. (You can see where a new sprue has been pieced in to the tooling.) That's the radio gear - the first version was a plain people-carrier. They always had those vinyl tyres - the old formulation always cracked eventually...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

Having recently picked up the "old" kit at a show, I can say the new parts are in that first sprue pic at the lower right corner. (You can see where a new sprue has been pieced in to the tooling.) That's the radio gear - the first version was a plain people-carrier. They always had those vinyl tyres - the old formulation always cracked eventually...

That cracking didn't happen for me, as the model got broken in moving from place to place. Too broken to repair, so I trashed it... Seems like I sanded plastic wheels/tires to simulate flattened tires, simulating weight on that model. I'm thinking that it was a REVELL Kfz.15 (ITALERI parts?), because I bought the REVELL Pz.Kpfw.IV (ITALERI?) in the same purchase. Then again, maybe it was a different kit as regards to the tires. So long ago, 1977/1978...
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Bill! I believe Roman is referring to the BRONCO CB35175 Kfz.12 kit. ITALERI's is a Kfz.15. On the surface, it appears that ITALERI has given this "NEW" kit a set of VINYL tires; the original kit had the wheels and tires molded in plastic, in halves, if memory serves. You watch- TAMIYA will "pirate" and RE-BOX this kit, and charge more money...

I think I still have one of these buried somewhere in my vast inventory of un-built kits. I built one of these back in 1977 or '78, in the earlier Panzer Grau scheme...

Great reference sources for WWII German Kfz. (Kraftfahrzeug) wheeled vehicles are the 2 SCHIFFER books "Cars of the Wehrmacht" and "Trucks of the Wehrmacht". They're LOADED with info and photos...

Are you referring to the ICM Horch 108 Typ 40? That's a much newer and more advanced vehicle than either the Horch Kfz.12 and Kfz.15 vehicles. Looks a lot different too, with a lower and wider radiator, right off the bat...

I mean Kfz 15 from Bronco. recent release.

https://s1.scalemates.com/products/img/3/4/9/947349-10244-17.jpg
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Roman,
I think it is not a fair comparison... they are on different leagues. Bronco kit may cost twice, and I bet Italeri can be built within a weekend or less.

It is a matter of personal preferences whether you want a highly detailed kit, with the cost and effort involved, or something simpler but quickly ready to paint.

In the end it's all about fun :-)
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:35 AM UTC
FUN...ha ha ha, what does that have to do with modelling......just kidding!
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 06:28 AM UTC
haha. if you would like to get italeri kit to the same level of detail it will cost twice the bronco kit and they are indeed incomparable if you check the parts quality of bronco kit. it is not only about complexity.
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:25 PM UTC
Good morning Roman,
I think you have missed my point... I meant there are modellers who are not interested in that level of detail, they (or often me, for the case) would be happy just building more or less as it is.
That is why I said it's all about fun. You can enjoy with a perfect kit while others can enjoy with a simpler one. And both are completely acceptable ways of modelling.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:10 PM UTC
I am not trying to remove FUN from anyone.
Will it disappear when you read that the kit is out of date and toylike?

:)
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:44 PM UTC
Well, the Bronco kit is just a vanilla people carrier, while the Italeri is a communications vehicle.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:55 PM UTC
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, the Bronco kit is just a vanilla people carrier, while the Italeri is a communications vehicle.

Hi, Bill! BRONCO has announced their version of the Kfz.15 Horch Communications Vehicle for 2016. Also, they've pushed their upcoming Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.A to January, 2016. They keep doing that with their MRAP and earlier WWII Sd.Kfz whatever-the-hell-they-are Radio, and Command 8-wheelers. In the meantime, they keep coming out with other stuff...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not trying to remove FUN from anyone.
Will it disappear when you read that the kit is out of date and toylike?

:)

I'm still holding on to my old one, too. A little bit of PE, resin upgrades and some selective scratch-building never hurt anybody...
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Bill! BRONCO has announced their version of the Kfz.15 Horch Communications Vehicle for 2016. .

I have it in my hands and I am building it.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A little bit of PE, resin upgrades and some selective scratch-building never hurt anybody...

I don't know - I've managed to slice my fingers while cutting Evergreen! And don't get me started on sharp edges and PE frets...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC
Denis: In the fourth post on this thread, why do you imply that Tamiya is doing something wrong? They aren't "pirating" anything. They have reboxed Italeri kits for decades -- in full agreement with Italeri. Please get your facts straight before slogging them.

While I agree they may not be the best value for a knowledgeable AFV builder, it's not as if they alone do this. Note the reboxed 1970s era 1/32 Monogram armor kits -- boxed and ready for the XMas season. Not very attractive to me in the slightest at $30 each. But where's your outrage?
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC
Have to remember this perspective as we may price ourselves out of existence unable to attract youth to carry the torch. Bottom line cheaper alternatives are needed for the beginners. This is a good thing! I remember dissing the Tamiya Panther A to the local hobby shop owner. He said he can sell 5 of them to starter kids because of the price to every one of the DML super kits. No outrage for that.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:41 AM UTC
this is how Bronco looks

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have to remember this perspective as we may price ourselves out of existence unable to attract youth to carry the torch. Bottom line cheaper alternatives are needed for the beginners. This is a good thing! I remember dissing the Tamiya Panther A to the local hobby shop owner. He said he can sell 5 of them to starter kids because of the price to every one of the DML super kits. No outrage for that.

The costs for producing the kits are going down so I am not convinced that kits are getting more expensive when the prices are adjusted for inflation.
/ Robin
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The costs for producing the kits are going down so I am not convinced that kits are getting more expensive when the prices are adjusted for inflation.
/ Robin

Are you talking about armor kits, or kits in general? Car kits aren't expensive, with the exception of Tamiya. Its kits, in my opinion, are overpriced for what's in the box. Revellogram kit prices haven't experienced a dramatic increase over the last 20 or so years. I paid around $12 for them in the mid '90s and the same kits can be had for $18-22 today. The same can't be said for armor kits. The kits that were first issued by Dragon, 3526 (MD 530G (MMS) Gunship), for which I paid $23 in the mid-late '90s, and is still available in its catalog today, costs around 100-120% more. If, according to your statement, the cost of production has gone down, shouldn't that translate to kit prices being less than at present? Factoring in inflation rates, car kits saw an approximately 50% price increase over a twenty year period, why doesn't that rate of increase apply to the cost of armor kits? Again, I'm referring to kits which were first available during that particular period and are still manufactured today.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A little bit of PE, resin upgrades and some selective scratch-building never hurt anybody...

I don't know - I've managed to slice my fingers while cutting Evergreen! And don't get me started on sharp edges and PE frets...

Haven't we all??? But sliced fingers are part of the "joy of modelling", don'tcha know!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Are you talking about armor kits, or kits in general? Car kits aren't expensive, with the exception of Tamiya. Its kits, in my opinion, are overpriced for what's in the box. Revellogram kit prices haven't experienced a dramatic increase over the last 20 or so years. I paid around $12 for them in the mid '90s and the same kits can be had for $18-22 today. The same can't be said for armor kits. The kits that were first issued by Dragon, 3526 (MD 530G (MMS) Gunship), for which I paid $23 in the mid-late '90s, and is still available in its catalog today, costs around 100-120% more. If, according to your statement, the cost of production has gone down, shouldn't that translate to kit prices being less than at present? Factoring in inflation rates, car kits saw an approximately 50% price increase over a twenty year period, why doesn't that rate of increase apply to the cost of armor kits? Again, I'm referring to kits which were first available during that particular period and are still manufactured today.

Prices for brand new Armor and AFV kits are not going down; if anything, they keep rising. Prices for the newer AND older kits that have been on the market for a while tend to go down because the retailers are trying to move this older stock to make room for the more expensive brand new stuff.

CAD, Slide-mold technology, the cost of plastic (a petro-chemical substance, which in the last 30 years or so has risen quite noticeably) PLUS a "tiny" bit of greed have something to do with it. Then, add the high parts counts of today's Armor, AFV and Soft-skins kits and compare that to what was available to us in the 1960s-1980s, and I think you'll have a reasonable explanation for the high costs of kits in this genre.

Prices for Aircraft and Automobiles have increased, but not to the point of being un-affordable. And for the Train Fans, specialized Locomotives, in both Steam and Diesel types, manufactured in plastic, brass, or brass-hybrid types have gone right through roof in price. I've seen certain HO brass Steam Locomotives selling for just under $3000.00 on ebay.

Conversely, just yesterday, (kind of off-subject), I saw a DRAGON "Wittmann's Last Tiger" being listed for $299.00. Sorry, not me!!! I don't GIVE A RAT'S ASS FOR WHOSE "last Tiger" that is! $300 bucks is way too much for THAT THING! You can buy a late-production Tiger I and get aftermarket parts and decals to replicate "Wittmann's" Tiger for under a THIRD of the cost that that rip-off artist is listing his "Wittman's" Last Tiger for... But, as they say at some unscrupulous auto dealers, "There's an ass for every seat"...

_GOTOTOP