_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
daimler Dingo WWII
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 06:00 AM UTC
I hope this is right arena, I am looking for the role that the. Dingo played in the armored regiments,armoured recce regiments and Inc divisions. I have seen Recon and kiss on. But nothing further as to what type of recon, for who, link up with say an armoured troop. Sorry if its a dumb ? But I cannot found my answer so I am looking for help.
JimF51
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:43 PM UTC
Eugene, I'd suggest getting the book "The British Reconnaissance Corps in WWII" by Richard Dougherty, from Osprey. Pub. It gives a broad overview of the recon subject, and a bit of info on the Dingo.

From what I have read so far, the Dingo, though numerous, was only used in large numbers by certain units, the 52nd Lowland Recce being the largest user. They used them right till the end of the war. Other units used the larger heavier Humber, or Universal Carriers.

Their use was primarily scouting, ahead of larger main force units, or on the flanks as early warning protection. The usually would be deployed in teams, made up of a mix of scout cars and armored cars, often with a air liaison spotter included.

The jeep filled a similar role with US Cav and recon units.

Jim F
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
The Dingo was part of the War Establishment (WE) for the armoured car regiments and mostly used by them. These were independent cavalry regiments attached at Corps level (i.e. not part of a brigade or division) and nominally a specific a/c regiment was attached to a specific corps. In reality, as the war diaries show, individual squadrons and troops might be detached for prolonged periods to subordinate formations and sometimes even detached to other corps. However, they would probably retain the original markings of their official parent, so the corps formation sign and arm of service number 44 on a green/blue horizontally divided patch with white corps bar. Tactical (squadron) signs would be white as they were unbrigaded units.

In 21AG (1944-45) the four British a/c regts were the 2nd Household Cavalry Regt (XXX Corps), The Royal Dragoons (XII Corps), the Inns of Court and 11th Hussars. Off the top of my head I forget which of the latter two was with VIII Corps and which was with I Corps.

The RAC six-monthly return for the end of June 1944 showed 52 Dingos in each regiment. Others were with the Belgian a/c Sqn, a Dutch recce unit and reserve. Canadian units used the similar but different Ford Lynx in the same role. Other vehicles used were the Daimler a/c, Staghound a/c and 75mm half-tracks or 75mm AEC a/c, although not all formations had all types (IoC and 2HCR had AECs in June 44 but the Royals and 11H still had the half-tracks, although the Royals had acquired AECs by VE Day). I wrote a piece for Tankette on the units a few years ago, which was based on what I culled from their war diaries.

The individual armoured divisions had their own organic recce regiments but these were equipped differently, with much smaller numbers of Dingos (the June 1944 return gives a total of 18 divided among the four British armoured divs in 21AG and six in the Polish AD, so maybe six per div was the WE figure) and usually Humber a/cs in the infantry divs. I have seen no indication that Dingos were ever issued to armoured brigades or to infantry formations but happy to see any.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC
Thank you all for the help and has cleared the water alittle, Can you all add to this?

So with the WE's below what are the Dingos roles in those assignements. IE Recon Troop and the 2 dingos with the 2 Humbers in a troop. and what were their markings, if known. that's what I cannot find now. Anyone else can add to this please and Thank you.

euge

Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC

Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:10 AM UTC
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:34 AM UTC
Bumps y !! d up Still in need of some info..
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 10:15 AM UTC
Still looking for anymore info anyone can Add?
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 01:41 AM UTC
Gene. As no additional answers seem to be coming, have you thought of posting this message in the 'regular' Armor/AFV Forum?
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:27 AM UTC
Mr. Keenan

No I haven't thought of that but I will thanks alot and happy late Christmas.

Euge
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:11 PM UTC
Euge. Sorry we couldn't help you here on the WW forum. I'm hoping the rest of the Armorama crew can assist though.

Happy New Years and thanks for visiting the forum.
 _GOTOTOP