_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M60 MBT Goodness!!
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:58 PM UTC
As an old M60A1/A3 tank commander, I'm finally happy that the M60 Main Battle Tank is getting the respect she rightfully deserves!!

From AFV's release of an early version of the M60A1, to Academy's M60A2 and now, Dragon's M60A2, followed by a late version of a "straight" M60 from Dragon in early 2016... I have a gut feeling that Dragon will also be the first to issue a new tooling of the M60A1 RISE Passive or a M60A3 TTS before AFV or anybody else!!

The M60 series of main battle tanks were critical in the defense of Europe during the Cold War, but never got the "love" that the Leopard series did. But she, a M60A3, could still hold its own against a T-72. Back in the early 80s while stationed in Germany, we were told that the Soviets would send in their T-55s and T-62s first and save their T-64s and T-72s for their breakout push after "thinning out" American, West German, British and Canadian armored forces... I'm grateful that this nightmare never came true since I'm sure that it would have led to the release of tactical nuclear weapons, followed by strategic nuclear missiles and nobody could have won in that scenario.

ANYWAY!! The M60 did her part in keeping the peace and now getting the respect in the modelling world!!

"Steel Pots" off to Tamiya since they did a good job with their first 1/35th scale M60A1 kit from the mid 70s to their 1/35th scale M60A3 release from the late 80s, but they are now showing their age, as well as the Academy copy... Never owned the Esci/Ertl kits, but heard it was better in several ways, like the correct height of the suspension system.

...Still waiting for somebody to release an injected molded plastic kit of the M114 Reconnaissance Carrier and an early/mid 80s M48A5 MBT to round out the 70s/80s Cold War period of American armored vehicles.
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:29 PM UTC
As an old M60 tanker, gotta agree. The M60 series was sadly neglected for too long.

And I'd like a M114 in plastic, too.

Joe
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC
As a dino tanker myself I have to agree. I'm going to wait for AFVs 60 collection though. Their A1 is awesome and the most accurate. Academy is based on the old tamiya 60 and the M103 has turned me off Dragon. I started on M551s and ended on slick M1s both of those tracks need some love too.

I have several of AFVs Centurions and the consistent quality has me hooked. They get fidelly at times but are worth it.

Tom
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:02 AM UTC
And the workhorse of the grunts the m-113
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:57 AM UTC
There will be many more vehicles from the M60 family coming out. You might wait before purchasing the first kit to hit the internet. You may regret your choice.
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 06:36 PM UTC
Care to expand on that?

Really want a good M60, and even if Dragon has one announced, the quality of their work lately has left a little lacking. Anything firm from AFV that you can speak of?

Capistrano
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:57 PM UTC
Looking forward to an M60. It will be built as A-32, 2/68 Armor USA9B4646 "Abortion". Don't ask me how I remember that, because I sure don't remember the info on the other vehicles I was on.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC
I was poking around in my stash the other day, about as close to actual modeling as I've come in the last couple of months (my God, has it been that long?) and I have a butt-load of M60 kits and AM, all Academy/Tamiya/Esci stuff and AM to fit, but I did splurge on a recent trip to Vegas and bought the AFV Club kit. Wow, what a gem. It's time, methinks, to get modeling.
And as a side note, the HobbyTown USA on Sahara is not to be missed if one finds oneself with time and spare cash while there. They have AM stuff, for armor, in stock.
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking forward to an M60. It will be built as A-32, 2/68 Armor USA9B4646 "Abortion". Don't ask me how I remember that, because I sure don't remember the info on the other vehicles I was on.

Mine was M60 9B3862, B-25, 2/70th Armor. Never did name her.

Joe
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 04:58 PM UTC
Two years after this post, and we still lack an accurate M60.
I'm working on the Dragon kit, and it is the worst M60/M60A1 hull I have ever seen. Whatever they did to the front of the hull in trying to convert it from the M48 left it so inaccurate, I'm almost unable to express my feelings about it. They should be ashamed of themselves for bringing it to market.

The turret is clearly based on their M48 turret, with half-hearted attempts to convert it to an M60 type. Too bad they didn't have the CMD turret to turn to for reference.

It seems like AFV could have made provision for alternate locations for the front return roller, perhaps an insert in the lower hull for both round and oval escape hatches, and a few other details, an accurate turret, and we'd have had a GREAT M60.

Maybe next year.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 05:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Two years after this post, and we still lack an accurate M60.
I'm working on the Dragon kit, and it is the worst M60/M60A1 hull I have ever seen. Whatever they did to the front of the hull in trying to convert it from the M48 left it so inaccurate, I'm almost unable to express my feelings about it. They should be ashamed of themselves for bringing it to market.

The turret is clearly based on their M48 turret, with half-hearted attempts to convert it to an M60 type. Too bad they didn't have the CMD turret to turn to for reference.

It seems like AFV could have made provision for alternate locations for the front return roller, perhaps an insert in the lower hull for both round and oval escape hatches, and a few other details, an accurate turret, and we'd have had a GREAT M60.

Maybe next year.

And the Dragon slick 60 is a step up from the M60A2 with some errors tweaked.

Maybe it'll be like their Sherman V firefly which too three tries to get right or their Nashorn that took three tries. People forget their misses. How many different versions of the Sherman split cupola did they do before getting it totally right? Took competition from Tasca for that.
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC
Got tired of waiting on AFV Club to do the straight M60 so I bought Dragons to have one in collection.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 09:52 AM UTC
As always happens.. as soon as you go to extensive lengths to do a conversion, they start to come out with the kit out if the box.

Here’s my converted Taymia M60A1 with lots of $ in aftermarket conversion...

Ya... I know the port side air filter shouldn’t habve the clips for the manual fuel transfer pump...

_GOTOTOP