_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
best budget airbrush for fine/cover work?
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC
I am thinking about getting an airbrush for fine free-hand painting (which, preferably can be used to cover large areas as well).

I don't really want to spend a lot of money on it, since my funds are not infinite...

Anyone has any ideas which brands/models are the best? For example, what's the word on the Aztec range?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC
My suggestion would be the Iwata Neo. Here in Canada, sells for about $70CDN, and is a great airbrush. As for the Aztek, I had one and was not very pleased with it. Difficult to clean, clogged often, and spray was not the greatest, especially with acrylic paints.

barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:25 PM UTC
Badger 360 for £68 on ebay. I love this airbrush: it's rugged; easy to clean and works as a jar type and gravity fed brush.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BADGER-360-UNIVERSAL-AIRBRUSH-gracity-feed-as-well-bottom-feed-SPECIAL-OFFER-/252209710539?hash=item3ab8dec5cb:g:HHsAAOSwKIpWAjBE
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
Another option might be the Harder and Steenbeck Ultra for about 70 Euro new or 40-50 Euro second-hand. Has a self-centering nozzle which for me was better than the Iwata screwed version as I had another screw-in nozzle break on me (not an Iwata but a no-name).
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC
I'd definitely suggest the Iwata Neo.
The word on the Aztec range is that 95% of users can't get the damn things to do crap.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd definitely suggest the Iwata Neo.
The word on the Aztec range is that 95% of users can't get the damn things to do crap.

I must be in the lucky 5%. Been using an Aztek for about 20 years using Tamiya/Polly Scale/Testors Acrylics. Only real trouble I have is spraying white or yellow which I do not do often. Primary reason I use it is that I hate having to clean the AB. Prior to the Aztez I was using Badger and the old Pasche H. With the Aztec cleaning is a snap, run some Windex/Isopropyl then water through it and I'm done. Even backed my chair over it once and broke the body. They replaced it free as per their lifetime warranty.
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
This is what I would look at.

http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-Revolution-BR.html#SID=1165

I have the TR1 and its a great brush, a bit more cash than the Revolution but as a starter the Revolution would be my choice. Great performance and good after sales support.

Dan
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
If I may suggest; I think that would do better to jump on out, bite the budget bullet, and get a good AB from the start - spend perhaps twice what the mentioned "budget" models might be going for and get a better brush that you'll be happy with for several years.

Unless you anticipate either a) not EVER doing much AB work in the next several years - in which case the AB would be remain minor and little-used tool in your box - and a modest "budget brush" could serve your limited needs well, and/or b) you anticipate NOT developing greater interest in and greater skills with AB over time and experience... something which is virtually guaranteed to happen if you do use one much!... You will probably soon grow out of a more-limited AB and end up wanting a better brush (and spending the more money next year or so to get it) anyway, IF you do use your new AB much. That happened to me, years ago!

You can get into a number of well-reviewed and more-versatile AB for 125 - 200 USD or so. And remember that the AB is only part of the equipment expense - you'll need a compressor and other stuff (all of which will likely cost the same whether you buy a cheap AB or a top-end costly one), so you are really only talking about saving a portion of the total AB budget by buying a lesser brush...

It's just a suggestion!

Bob
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 11:05 PM UTC
My 2 cents on this.

I would suggest the Revell Vario 39202.
The complete set comes with 3 different sizes nozzles and needles. Fine, medium and large.

The basic Vario box 39107has the medium nozzle and needle which is a good general use.

I have been using the Vario for years now and have had no real problems with it.
Biggest plus. Replacement parts are easy to come by.
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:09 AM UTC
Badger Renegade Velocity is a superb airbrush at about 160 USD if you have the budget. Many people like Iwata Neo and Sparmax airbrushes, which are of reasonable quality. Basic versions of Harder&Steenbeck Evolution are not very expensive either. Triplex (by Gabbert in Germany) offers good value for the money as well.

Concerning Aztek, I have only tested it after repairs I had done on them for friends, they worked but I was not very impressed, for me Aztek seems a bit impractical and the many plastic parts are suspicious for me whatever space-age material they are made of. You should check if you could try it in a club or shop, you might like it.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC
Andras, you might take a look at the Sparmax Max4 review I did - there is also a 0.3mm version which might be of interest. It seems to be quite a good deal for £45. Shorter guarantee, but cheaper than others mentioned here, while still decent quality.

stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:46 AM UTC
Im surprised no one has mentioned the Badger 105 patriot or the Paasche talon. I have the talon and is fabulous. The neo has a very small, easily damaged needle nozzle and has rubber seals, not suitable for strong lacquers, solvents, etc.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 05:21 AM UTC
Andras,
I agree with Panzer Bob. by a good airbrush from the get-go and learn how to use it. I've been air brushing since 1968, starting with inexpensive Binks, Badger's and Paasche's. I still use a Badger Illustrator, and a Paasche Millenium for large jobs, but my favorite is a Peak C-5, which I can use for medium to fine work. The Peak is roughly equivalent to some of the Iwata brushes, and is my most expensive brush. My experience is the cheaper brushes will eventually leave you wanting more, so just start with a good one from the beginning. Invest in a good compressor while you're at it too-- if you plan to continue in this hobby, get the best equipment.
VR, Russ
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:54 AM UTC
I think a stop and breather is in order.

1.) How much exactly is your budget?

2.) What airbrush items do you already have? (compressor, hose/fittings, cleaners, paint mask, paint booth, etc)

This should make it easier for the guys here to narrow down your options better. If you say 100usd from zero equipment then that drastically changes a lot of suggestions presented.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a stop and breather is in order.

2.) What airbrush items do you already have? (compressor, hose/fittings, cleaners, paint mask, paint booth, etc)

This should make it easier for the guys here to narrow down your options better. If you say 100usd from zero equipment then that drastically changes a lot of suggestions presented.

Good call. Without this info we're all kinda just pi**ing in the wind so to speak.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:32 PM UTC
Dear All,

thank you for your answers; I really appreciate them. (Sorry for the late reaction; I was spending the holidays out of town, out of touch...)

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC
When it comes to tools, your better off spending money on them vs going "cheap'...if they are properly taken care of, they'll last a lifetime.

I have an Iwata air compressor I bought over 13 years ago that was replaced under warranty the first year I had it (had a switch on it that was going bad) that has been completely trouble free since it was replaced...not to mention the price of it has either doubled or tripled since then!
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
Sorry, lots of emails at work interfering with the important stuff.

Maybe a 100 pounds? Could be more, but I'd like to keep it around it.

I've been airbrushing for a while now; I do have a compressor, fume hood, a couple of cheap single action/double action airbrushes, but I do have issues when it comes to do anything else but spraying wide areas/masked camos. I can do those. Free-hand fine work -not so much. In fact right now I'm not even sure how to clean the inside of a double action properly, as I have no brushes so thin to get into the place of the needle. (I don't have a sonic cleaner, and I can't think of anything else to use...)

alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi, I agree with the NEO TRN-1 (.35 needle). I left my trusty Aztek 470 to overall coverage now.

Whith the Neo, you can do all of the job for tanks and 1/48 planes.

Very easy to clean and have the backup of Iwata.

HTH,

Regards from the south
Alvaro
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:26 PM UTC
I just got one from Amazon called Point Zero , $23 US. Works great, comes with 3 needles & nozzles, quick release hose adapter, wrench. Gravity feed type.
The Badger 350 , $25-35 is also a good budget brush with 3 needles & air caps. You can buy parts separately.
Another company is called Master Airbrush on Amazon.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In fact right now I'm not even sure how to clean the inside of a double action properly, as I have no brushes so thin to get into the place of the needle. (I don't have a sonic cleaner, and I can't think of anything else to use...)

Andras, may I refer you again to my video review of the Max 4 in which I demonstrate cleaning such an ab, including using cleaning brushes which you can buy via Amazon etc. Only issue I had with them was that only one of the four brushes was actually small enough to fit up the pipe, but it did the job. Interdental brushes can also be used at a pinch. You only really, imo, need to clean between the cup and the nozzle, and you can do most of that with the interdental.
PeteDoc
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Andras, the other thing to bear in mind are the cost of spare/replacement parts here in the UK. At some stage you will almost certainly loose a tip, or dink the point of the needle beyond repair. The Neo looks good value and I believe can be "tuned" by polishing the needle,and a few other tweaks. There's info online where folks have used cheaper alternative parts with no adverse effect, and in some cases an improvement in performance. I can't personally vouch for this though! I have a Badger 100LG which is a great little brush, and exceptionally easy to clean, and spares not too expensive. Good luck!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
I'm a huge fan of my Patriot. I have three other air brushes (2 Iwata and 1 Pasche) and they mainly gather dust. It' a very beginner friendly airbrush but it will continue to give good service up through at least an intermediate level of skill.
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 12:16 AM UTC
I like Badger products ! their well made and are guaranteed for life . had mine service due to my stupidity and it cost me shipping fees only I have the pioneer and the 150 . I have 2 iawatas too but prefer the badgers
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andras, may I refer you again to my video review of the Max 4 in which I demonstrate cleaning such an ab, including using cleaning brushes which you can buy via Amazon etc. Only issue I had with them was that only one of the four brushes was actually small enough to fit up the pipe, but it did the job. Interdental brushes can also be used at a pinch. You only really, imo, need to clean between the cup and the nozzle, and you can do most of that with the interdental.

Dear Matt,

Thank you; slowly I'm catching up with all the recommendations (have about a million tabs open with reviews/ebay pages, etc), and I have your review open, but had not had a chance to watch it... As soon as the lady of the house retires, I'll give it a go (We're doing choirs around the house.) It's really amazing you're giving advice not only about the airbrush, but maintenance as well. Thank you.

_GOTOTOP