_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anybody make chaplain Jeep decals?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:00 PM UTC
Preferably US... I just ordered the Bronco "God's Blessing" figure set.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Christophe
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:20 PM UTC
What would they look like?

KL
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC
Something like that. Are you thinking Letraset dry transfers? Bit tricky to align and space but feasible...

Cheers,

Christophe
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC
Trickier.

Cheers,

Christophe
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 11:41 PM UTC
I haven't seen any for sale but you can get them custom-made at some decal suppliers. The other option is use the small cross decal from the Italeri Road Signs kit, or chop up spare decals to make crosses. Dry transfers are cheap and come in white. I found a variety of fonts including old English style, German Gothic and block letters. I am not doing Chaplain decals but they are sure handy for vehicle nicknames and such!
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
I would concur; by the way, great subject; chaplains are some of the unsung heroes of war in my opinion
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dry transfers are cheap and come in white. I found a variety of fonts including old English style, German Gothic and block letters. I am not doing Chaplain decals but they are sure handy for vehicle nicknames and such!

Dry transfers can be applied to clear decal film...best of both worlds.
Powder
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dry transfers are cheap and come in white. I found a variety of fonts including old English style, German Gothic and block letters. I am not doing Chaplain decals but they are sure handy for vehicle nicknames and such!

Archer also sell stuff called 'Wet Media Paper' which you rub the dry-transfer onto so that it 'picks-up' water soluble glue. You then cut the transfer from the paper as per a normal decal, soak and apply. The beauty of this is that there's no clear film around the decal. More info here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlBDQmv1pI

(I've no connection with the Archer company, I just think the product is great)

Here's a photo of a braille scale Sherman I'm working on. The yellow and white markings are dry-transfers applied directly on matt paint via the 'Wet Media Paper'.

armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:47 AM UTC
Check these transfers out.
http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/World_War_Two_1_35_Decal_sets.html
Took me a while to find this lead, hope it helps.
Dave
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 08:59 AM UTC
Excellent! Thanks a million.

Cheers,

Christophe
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi David,

Merry Christmas!

Did you try SMA?
I saw they also have some interesting figures. But since the pictures on their website are quite vague one can not define detail quality.
And on modeling fora they are not seen either.

Someone ever tried them?

P.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
Merry Christmas to every one.
Checking out the link Powder supplied I watched some of the Archer tutorials . I would go with Archer transfers .
After Christmas I'm going to head to the local hobby store and get some dry transfers and some of their decal paper and try my hand at them . That pic of Ave Maria looks like an interesting build with the name across the wind shield, the cab, side mounted spare and wire cutter .
Dave
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi David,

Merry Christmas!

Did you try SMA?
I saw they also have some interesting figures. But since the pictures on their website are quite vague one can not define detail quality.
And on modeling fora they are not seen either.

Someone ever tried them?

P.

Not David, but I'll comment anyway. ;-)

SMA went belly up many years ago, Scale Link probably bought some moulds and old stock. Elite Models of Germany also bought/reworked SMA masters. SMA wasn't the greatest amongst resin manufacturers IMVHO, not AEF Designs bad but average at best. I don't recall their figures (or their kits) to be especially spectacular but they had a nice eclectic range at the time...

Cheers,

Christophe
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
Scale Models and Accessories from the UK made a dry transfer in white SMAP048 in yellow SMAP047 It has the Chaplain markings and Photographer / MP to. For JEEP markings
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:06 AM UTC
Check THIS out. Pretty simple and straightforward process. If you have Gothic/Medieval fonts, "Ave Maria" is doable.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:18 AM UTC
Not that easy for white, you have to print olive drab around the letters on white decal paper?

Cheers,

Christophe
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 08:56 AM UTC
Chrisophe
Thanks for taking the post from Paul. It did sound like it was meant more for you.
Sounds like Archer's new decal paper make's the making of white letter decals easier . I'm going to review the Archer tutorial's on their dry transfers and like I said earlier get some of the decal paper and some letters try to make a water slid decal.If I have any luck with it I will let you know.

Dave
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not that easy for white, you have to print olive drab around the letters on white decal paper?

Cheers,

Christophe

Uh, no. You type the text, choosing "White" as the font color, directly onto the area which is the necessary fill/background color. In your case, that would be Olive Drab. You can get the closest match by using the paint dropper, or whatever the heck the tool is called in whatever program you use, for a custom color from a color chip online. Read Making White text with Hobbycal Decal Paper for a more detailed explanation. So, it actually is that easy.
Powder
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chrisophe
Thanks for taking the post from Paul. It did sound like it was meant more for you.
Sounds like Archer's new decal paper make's the making of white letter decals easier . I'm going to review the Archer tutorial's on their dry transfers and like I said earlier get some of the decal paper and some letters try to make a water slid decal.If I have any luck with it I will let you know.

Dave

Dave, just to clarify my earlier post. Archer sell two products;

Clear Decal Film, http://www.archertransfers.com/AR22002.html

Wet Medium Paper, http://www.archertransfers.com/AR22001.html

The Clear Decal Film is probably no different from any other decal film from another manufacturer, and is what Chris Green mentioned earlier. The Wet Medium Paper is the stuff that I was talking about, and has no clear film. The tutorials outline the pros & cons of each.
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 04:18 PM UTC
Although they cater mainly to Model Railroaders, Microscale Decals might have a set that would work for CHAPLAIN jeep, Might be able to piece together the crosses from the letter"T".

Alphabets and Numbers
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ALPHA

Suggest
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=90301&Category_Code=ALPHA

They also have a few Military decals
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MILITARY
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:10 PM UTC
Hopefully Archer might take note here. These folks want Chaplin markings for the jeep. I would certainly make the same request regarding Combat Photographer markings for the jeep. (1/35th scale please)
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully Archer might take note here. These folks want Chaplin markings for the jeep. I would certainly make the same request regarding Combat Photographer markings for the jeep. (1/35th scale please)

Hi Mike

In the meantime, the SMA sheet has a "photographer" marking...

H.P.
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Archer also sell stuff called 'Wet Media Paper' which you rub the dry-transfer onto so that it 'picks-up' water soluble glue. You then cut the transfer from the paper as per a normal decal, soak and apply. The beauty of this is that there's no clear film around the decal. More info here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlBDQmv1pI

(I've no connection with the Archer company, I just think the product is great)

Here's a photo of a braille scale Sherman I'm working on. The yellow and white markings are dry-transfers applied directly on matt paint via the 'Wet Media Paper'.

Ive used archer products too. I love them ! might be your answer !
 _GOTOTOP