_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Italeri: Fury
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC

Italeri has announced a new tooling M4A3E8 Sherman "Fury".

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC
Not completely new .Hull is from 40 years ago
spstreeter
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 06:33 AM UTC
Release date?
misanthrope
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 07:29 AM UTC
Looks like a fun build. I'll try one.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 08:02 AM UTC
Dave, both the release note and box says "New Moulds", I do not know to which extent they have updated their old Sherman but there should be something new.

Shawn, it is already available on their online shop, therefore local shops and other online stores must receive it quite soon.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 04:21 PM UTC
Interesting mix. The hull sprue (and tub) are old, but the turret and suspension sprues are new, as are the tracks. I'd be interested in seeing these new parts up-close. The old hull may not be "state of the art" any more, but it wasn't exactly "bad" to begin with! If these are cheap enough they may have some appeal to those who shiver at spending a week's wages on a kit that requires a Masters degree in modelling to build...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not completely new .Hull is from 40 years ago

The decals are new!
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 11:31 PM UTC
And no need to scratch build the gas mask!!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 12:54 AM UTC
Do the old hull parts have shape issues or are they just archaicly moulded?
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
Upper hull has odd combo of weld "trenches" and beads (side by side!) that need replaced with a decent bead from plastic strip. Otherwise, IIRC the basic forms are ok. The hatches need a bit of detailing.

Lower hull is more problematic - the plate under the engine is for the radial-engine M4/M4A1. If this bothers you, one for the -A3 can be scratched from sheet and rod after sanding off the offending item, but as it is hidden under the hull most folk won't bother. The exhaust pipes on the rear wall are moulded on, but are almost invisible behind the reflectors...

Pioneer tools are a bit weak and are best replaced with an AM set.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 04:17 AM UTC
For its age, not such a bad kit. At any rate the question is do you want to build an accurate M4A3E8 or as it appeared in the film: in fact two separate M4A2E8s, at least one of which was fitted with postwar tracks and in-house fashioned exhaust shroud?
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hello

I am very interested to see how Italeri found its way with the HVSS suspension... without going back to the old AFV Club option, both the Tasca/Asuka HVSS from the beautiful M4A3E8 (35020 or 35023) and the Dragon set in the at-last-almost-all-updated-Easy-Eight (6183, the Thundebold VII version offering both the circular or oval order hatch) are not that simple, to say the least. Tasca ask for about 20 parts for each boggies ! Metal spring and tube in the Dragon set could be ... but boggies are articulated, if you need it.

As often, Tamiya did it beautifully and so simply in their M51 kit. And the same HVSS is again in their newly issued M4A3E8 (ref 35146) along with a new M4A3 upper hull and an up-dated T23 turret (the new one in their M1 super Sherman aka M4A1 76 mm late was not free of fitting problems)... For sure competition will be very very tough for Italeri, especially if Tamiya new release delivers all its promises

My guess now is who from Italeri or Tamiya who will provide us with a M4A1 76mm HVSS... both of them have all they need to do it quickly...

Mtbk
qcarr1
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:49 AM UTC
I have the new Tamiya Easy 8 kit and it is awesome. I will probably grab this Italeri Easy 8 as well; just can't help myself! Very excited that it has two sets of tracks. Guess I have a thing for Easy 8s and Pershings...
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For its age, not such a bad kit. At any rate the question is do you want to build an accurate M4A3E8 or as it appeared in the film: in fact two separate M4A2E8s, at least one of which was fitted with postwar tracks and in-house fashioned exhaust shroud?

I am not sure if you are aware, Fury was a M4A2E8, and not an A3. All the movie tanks were fitted with the rubber chevron tracks this was to reduce wear and tear both on the roads and the vehicles.

I hope this helps.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
I wonder if Italeri is still insisting on using the same very stiff material for tracks......
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
I will probably hold off on buying this one until I see the build reviews. Seems like they recycled some old sprues here. The sprues themselves have been rearranged but I recognize the parts. Turret, hull, sandshield brackets, and suspension seem like the old DML #9010 kit parts and the tub is from their m4a1 kit. The tracks, decals, and fury accessories might ne the only new tooled parts. If it is the old DML stuff, the turret and barrel are woefully undersized, the sand shield brackets oversized and the suspension is fragile and inaccurate. I hope I'm mistaken as I'd love to buy this kit simply as a fan of the film and because I would like to support themed kits like this. Now let's get a "kelly's heroes" kit too
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC
I can get the Tamiya kit for $30. This will surely make for very stiff competition. Expect the build, soon.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am not sure if you are aware, Fury was a M4A2E8, and not an A3. All the movie tanks were fitted with the rubber chevron tracks this was to reduce wear and tear both on the roads and the vehicles.

I hope this helps.

...isn't that what I just said?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I hope this helps.

...isn't that what I just said?

Yes. It was.
 _GOTOTOP