_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Asuka M4 Sherman
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC
Wanted to play around with this kit and started with the running gear. Using the stamped spoke wheels and try as I might my eyes and coordination won't let me use the rivets provided for the wheel rims. I'm debating whether I should just order the TMD set or proceed with my plan B. Slicing .20rod and placing those around the rim.

What it looks like under primer

Also doing the spring tension plugs
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:14 AM UTC
I'm on my 3rd VVS Tasca/Asuka Sherman. I've used the TMD stuff once but don't mind using the kit supplied rivets. If I may, what you've done with your discs must have required lots of dexterity. May I suggest you try the kit method once more? Here's what I do:

Lots of lighting and vision mangification
A VERY clean work area
New #11 blade on my Exacto.

I slice off about 5-6 rivets at a time with the new blade. I can put the rivet onto the inner rim by touching the blade tip to my tongue and then one of the rivets. If it's upside down, I just push it around until I get it right side up and in the proper location. Then I add the tiniest amount of liquid cement and it's set. I can do about a whole set of 12 wheels in an hour.

Given how nicely your sliced rod has come out, I think you accomplish what the kit directions suggest too. Best of luck to you
lancew
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:43 PM UTC
The rivets look a bit over-scale to me. If you look at the real thing they are domed and relatively subtle.

The spring tension plugs are actually round on the outside and hexagonal in the middle. In this scale you can just file off the edges of those bolts and no one will be able to tell the difference.

Meng do a set of bolts that fit the bill perfectly. I went through a bit of a journey trying to work out how to replicate these myself. Check this link for more details
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1440220187
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 04:42 PM UTC
Regarding the spring tension plugs, I simply add two very thin discs since they protrude barely at all on the real thing. Plus there's no angle where you can see the center once the return roller skid is glued in place.

BTW: here are what the TMD wheels look like on my Asuka M32B1:
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 03:09 AM UTC
[quote]The rivets look a bit over-scale to me. If you look at the real thing they are domed and relatively subtle.

The spring tension plugs are actually round on the outside and hexagonal in the middle. In this scale you can just file off the edges of those bolts and no one will be able to tell the difference.

Meng do a set of bolts that fit the bill perfectly. I went through a bit of a journey trying to work out how to replicate these myself. Check this link for more details
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1440220187

Thanks for the link. That's what I've already done. Filed them down to where they are just a hair above the surface.

Also going to give the provided rivets another shot. I did order the TMD wheels just in case
 _GOTOTOP