_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4M CAN!!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
On your marks, get set, go!!!

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
Views of the sprues, PE, and decals.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC
What a better time to get your reference material for the Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN in order to build your new Hobby Boss Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN kit!

My Canadian Leopard 2 Reference Image DVD Set is still available. Over 1700 images (over 9 GBs) on three DVDs.

You are going to want these high res images to ensure you place those hundreds of decals representing the Velcro strips properly!

For those awesome modellers who reside outside Canada take advantage of the low low low Canadian dollar. Even more bang for your buck when the Canadian dollar is at .69 Cents on the US Dollar!

mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
Is it everything you worked for? Looks good from the pics,hopefully it will be available soon.Good Job!

Mike
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it everything you worked for? Looks good from the pics,hopefully it will be available soon.Good Job!

Mike

Any kit of a modern Canadian tank OOB is well worth working for! It was definitely a team effort and kudos to Hobby Boss for really investing time to develop the kit. According to Hobby Boss the kits are ready to ship!

There are always details that can be added to a kit but I think this one is a winner. Even the unique Maple Leaf cut outs are included as PE parts for the frontal armour footholds.
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
Great stuff Jason. I can see that they include the cuds's velcro attachment.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes indeed...506 decals to replicate the Velcro strips!!!
mechaman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:46 PM UTC
It looks great!
I agree anytime we see Canadian vehicles in plastic it is a time to cheer!!
The only thing I can see is the molded on guides on the turret roof for the Air Conditioners might be a problem. Will need to scrap those off to model a Canada side Leo.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:46 PM UTC
Instead of use velcro straps I prefer build the MCS Barracuda.
r2d2
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes indeed...506 decals to replicate the Velcro strips!!!

With a bit of work you can make the turret armour to be able to swing out. The tank that went back to Canada would have the ECM boxes removed as well as the slats. Or you can add the full barracuda to depict the deployed version.

I can't wait for this one Jason.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Or you can add the full barracuda to depict the deployed version.

That would be my choice, Barracuda looks cool.

Thanks for all your efforts on this one Jason, I'm sure it will be a great model.

Mario
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada

Quoted Text

It looks great!
The only thing I can see is the molded on guides on the turret roof for the Air Conditioners might be a problem. Will need to scrap those off to model a Canada side Leo.

I'm not sure why they made the guides so prominent for the Electronic Counter Measure storage boxes. When the tanks were initially delivered the boxes were mounted so it would be acceptable to leave them on if a brand new tank was depicted.
r2d2
Visit this Community

Quoted Text

It looks great!

This needs to be removed and a different guide needs to be added to depict the removed ECM box. I don't think its an air conditioner unit. Jason or Anthony can verify this.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC
Fabulous! A couple will be winging their way to me for sure.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or you can add the full barracuda to depict the deployed version.

That would be my choice, Barracuda looks cool.

Thanks for all your efforts on this one Jason, I'm sure it will be a great model.

Mario

There are limitations with any model moulding technology. It's also the balance between keeping the cost acceptable for modellers. Maybe we will see an aftermarket Barracuda solution in the near future.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It looks great!

This needs to be removed and a different guide needs to be added to depict the removed ECM box. I don't think its an air conditioner unit. Jason or Anthony can verify this.

The box on the far left is the carbine stowage box. The two boxes on the right are ECM stowage boxes. They were mounted when the tanks were first delivered but then removed to avoid damage during training.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are limitations with any model moulding technology. It's also the balance between keeping the cost acceptable for modellers. Maybe we will see an aftermarket Barracuda solution in the near future.

Absolutely. I'm not sure if Barracuda could be made in plastic at all, but there are number of aftermarket manufacturers which are eager to start the process of making the conversion. I might even be persuaded to add my own Barracuda, although I would probably need tons of netting sets from Arkebuza Model Art.

Mario
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Absolutely. I'm not sure if Barracuda could be made in plastic at all, but there are number of aftermarket manufacturers which are eager to start the process of making the conversion. I might even be persuaded to add my own Barracuda, although I would probably need tons of netting sets from Arkebuza Model Art.

Mario

Dont perfect scale models already have a conversion with the barracuda net? Is it something wrong with that kit? Nice kit by the way, think i must have one...
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:34 AM UTC
Yes, they have the kit. It's great and probably the best way to do a Leopard 2A4M CAN with the Barracuda. The only issues is the base kit is the old Hobbyboss kit, which isn't all that great. However, the wheels and lower hull is really all you use. Their slat armor is thin PE, which can be hard to build and get everything looking uniform and square (at least it is for me)
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:40 AM UTC
That is really nice. I sure wish they have included an internal bracket for the hull, in order to support the upper hull part.

All their previous Leos had the hull upper part bending down without proper support.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is really nice. I sure wish they have included an internal bracket for the hull, in order to support the upper hull part.

All their previous Leos had the hull upper part bending down without proper support.

This one is redesigned, so maybe that sag isn't an issue any more?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, they have the kit. It's great and probably the best way to do a Leopard 2A4M CAN with the Barracuda. The only issues is the base kit is the old Hobbyboss kit, which isn't all that great. However, the wheels and lower hull is really all you use. Their slat armor is thin PE, which can be hard to build and get everything looking uniform and square (at least it is for me)

Here is a couple of pics of my Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN with Barracuda using the PSM conversion without and with primer. It is very well detailed resin conversion but the PE slat is troublesome. I replaced the PE slat with the resin slat from the Y-Modelle conversion. The new Hobby Boss kit will look great along side this build.

jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC
That looks great. Too bad Y-Modelle doesn't sell the slat separately.

I know the PE manufacturers go with thinner PE for accuracy, but personally I wouldn't mind if they made it thicker/stronger. Eduard's PE bends if you think about it too hard, and once it's bent you can't get it perfectly straight again.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
The slat is included in the Hobby Boss kit. You should be able to combine the plastic slat with the PSM conversion quite easily.

For a Canadian based 2A4M CAN you won't need the slat so it will become extra parts in the kit.

jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The slat is included in the Hobby Boss kit. You should be able to combine the plastic slat with the PSM conversion quite easily.

For a Canadian based 2A4M CAN you won't need the slat so it will become extra parts in the kit.

That's a great idea! Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP