_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wood Side Planking
pcavender
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:02 AM UTC
I purchased the Italeri kit # 6389 on Ebay which came with aftermarket resin side planking. Does anyone know what the species of the wood was? From the picture it's hard to tell what the grain pattern is. I'm sure it was already attached to the tank before the landing. But at what point and where. From the pictures I see no other markings other than the "Nitemare II L.A. Bound Via Kitano Point" which would allow me to research the history of this particular tank.I am aware it was part of the 5th Tank Bn landing on Iwo Jima Feb. 1945.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:01 PM UTC
The grains on the box art look like aged pine. Also I looked at some other pictures and where I could actually see hints of grain, the pictures suggest pine. Pine for construction is usually the only wood you are likely to find in large quantities and large planks. Oak, maple, and other hard dense woods are usually more expensive and used for furniture, desks, cabinetry and so on. Rifle stocks make walnut a strategic resource.

I imagine the Marines would have scrounged anything they could find. But if they were to raid the supply depot for construction size planks, they most likely would have found white pine.

Best Wishes,

Gary
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:45 PM UTC
According to Ed Gilbert, oak wood was used for the side armor planking :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1006575286/What's+the+deal+with+Sherman+swim+trunks-

A few period pics showing similar tanks here :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11620641-trying-decide-way-go.html

H.P.
pcavender
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:05 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your information. Not sure now what I'm going to use. By the way what is the title of the book Ed Gilbert wrote or is he just commenting on a forum?
Love this site. Always get my questions answered.

Phil
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:10 PM UTC
Ed Gilbert has written several USMC-related books including "Marine Tank Battles In The Pacific" (Da Capo Press)

On a side note, late David E.Harper's "Tank Warfare on Iwo Jima" (Squadron Signal) is another great source for period pics and informations.

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP