_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Paint question/advice
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hey all-
I've been using Testors Model Master enamels for a while now because that was usually what was available from my LHS (yes I still go) and sometimes dabble in Tamiya acrylics. My problem is that I see these fantastic figure models on here with a gloriously flat base coat on them, but all I usually achieve is a glossy raised looking coat with the enamels, and a very delicate coat with the acrylics. What recommendations would you give for different paint manufacturers/types that can give me the matte effect that I am looking for. Thanks in advance-JoeP
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:30 AM UTC
Joe;

All of the figure folks I know really seem to like the Vallejo acrylic - they like its brush-on abilities and the coats / finish one gets. I don't do figures, but I've used the Vallejo stuff in the airbrush and pretty much liked what happened.

If you float this query over in the Figures forum, you will rapidly get more than enough solid guidance and info!

Bob
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:37 AM UTC
One thing that really helps you get a flat finish is, when using acrylics, add a drop of Tamiya flat base (Not flat clear) to the amount of paint you thin down to paint with and it will give you a dead flat finish.. I've tried it with Vallejo, Andrea and Tamiya paints and it works great.

Hisham
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:15 PM UTC
Andrea is more flat then Vallejo,i use Humbrol enamel and i dont have problem always a good matt finish,many time expecially with vallejo more you play with the brush less get flat,also the technique with enamel/oils and acrilycs is different the first you can blend on the piece the second you go with very thin layers of thinned paint
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:04 PM UTC
thanks guys!
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 03:06 AM UTC
I use Tamiya enamels. They got two product lines: XF (matte) and X (glossy). The XF’s are pretty matte. Some (but not all) XF colors do have a little semi gloss tint, especially when taking photos with a flash. Tamiya also has X-21 which is Flat Base (matte laquer). It provides heavily matte finish, but you should be careful with it, it often dries out turning white. The Tamiya acrylic paints are divided into same product lines, I assume them to be the same, but I only use enamels. Another point is that XF’s are too dark, and most of them have to be mixed with XF-2 (mate white) to obtain proper color.

Another option I can suggest are GSI Creos Mr. Hobby (Mr. Color). They got three lines: matte, semi-gloss and glossy, which should be checked individually on every bottle. They are of very high quality, too, but have significantly stronger chemical odor (as compared to Tamiya, which are almost odorless).

A general advice would be to find a good matte laquer (colorless flat base) and overpaint your acrylic paint with it. If you use acrylics, maybe Tamiya acrylic X-21 will fit (if it does not chemically react with your paint, which is subject to experiment). Maybe you can try mixing your acrylic paint with X-21, too.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:07 PM UTC
You can give them a shot of flat clear or matte clear(rattle can or airbrush), after you paint them.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:42 PM UTC
Thinning Tamiya Acrylics with alcohol will also produce a dead-flat finish. I've never had any success getting Tamiya clear base to blend into the paint, but I might have gotten ahold of a bad bottle.

Removed by original poster on 07/02/16 - 11:52:13 (GMT).
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thinning Tamiya Acrylics with alcohol will also produce a dead-flat finish. I've never had any success getting Tamiya clear base to blend into the paint, but I might have gotten ahold of a bad bottle.

It works awesome , Tamiya + alcohol (99%)
You don't want to brush on Tamiya paint..use Vallejo
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:10 PM UTC
I use Tamiya Flat Base mixed with Future, around 40/60, and airbrush it on.
 _GOTOTOP