_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
MiG/AK Acrylic Paints
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hey everyone

I recently bought some AK and MiG acrylics and I was curious about the paint to thinner ratios you have used successfully in you airbrush.

I tried a 3:1 and a 2:1 ratio with very mixed results, both time leaving the dried paint looking spotted and uneven. I usually have to sand it smooth in the end since it takes on almost a cast steel texture.

Thanks!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
Both the AMMO and AK paints are made ready to shoot without thinning. If you felt the need to thin depending on your application...what you are trying to achieve, give a 4:1 or better yet, 5:1 mix ratio. Turn the pressure down to between 12 and 15 psi. and shoot between 3 and 4 inches away. Too close and too thin will cause what you seen.

Also, AMMO paints are designed to be applies in light, even coats built up in layers. This will allow for a super smooth finish to the surface.
Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
I think this video is worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZHAqxSHHvc

Tells you almost all what you need to know about how to apply them.
David1988
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 04:17 AM UTC
Incidentally, has anybody had issues applying AMMO paints over a base coat of AK interactive ones?

I tried this on an AFV Club Scimitar (AK Interactive base coat, AMMO camo colour) and the top coat has kind of dried unevenly, as if the self-levelling has gone wrong.

I have put a coat of matt varnish all over the model and am thinking of trying to put on another layer of AMMO to touch up what is already there, just to see if that improves things . . .
Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi David,

AMMO / AK paints don't self-level. They are "true water-based acrylics" - meaning that each subsequent layer does not "melt" the previous one.

This is why AMMO strongly recommends that their paints should be applied in very thin coats, allowing for the previous coat to dry before the next one is laid. Please check the video that I referred to in the post above - it is pretty much self-explanatory.
David1988
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi Phil,

Thanks for this, I have watched the video, I am actually brush painting not airbrushing though. I have painted four models with Ammo paints already and know they need about three not too thick coats for the base coat. I let each one dry and cure before applying the next.

I will try over the varnish I have put, using a flat headed brush (that's what I used for the other models) instead of the pointed one I used this time. I think I'll post how the results are
David1988
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:43 AM UTC
By way of an update on my previous post, the Ammo paint went on just fine over the matt varnish, this has pretty much solved the problem
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi, not wanting to hijack your thread, but I have used AK paints on a model and I dong like the colours. I tried Mr Muscle oven cleaner to strip the paint ( it works with Tamiya paints ), to no avail. Any suggestions what will work.
SteveAndrews
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:25 AM UTC
H Stevie

Try Mr Colour Leveling Thinner. Its the nuclear weapon of thinners and will strip just about anything in my experience. It even removes the will of telephone sales people to close the sale. Give it a go.

All the best

Steve
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC
Aha.....I have that.....so just brush it on? And it wont attack the plastic? Youve tried this before? Thanx for the info.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aha.....I have that.....so just brush it on? And it wont attack the plastic? Youve tried this before? Thanx for the info.

It should not attack the plastic. A cotton bud is a handy way to get it onto the model too- it soaks up more than a brush and will start taking the paint off as easily as a brush but instead of having to wash the paint off the brush you can just bin it and grab another.
 _GOTOTOP