_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Q: Oil Dot
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hello,

I wanted to try this so I got a couple of Winsor and Newton oils and a tin of odorless mineral spirits, Gamsol I believe. A couple of questions:

Will these work? I ask as some of the articles I read refer to using turpentine, or simply stated "thinner"

Once the dots are on, how long do I have to wait before blending? Again my readings came up with "wait a while", "an hour or so". Even saw a video where the guy came back to it after 5 hours.

Greatly appreciate your feedback / experiences.

Cheers,

Tat
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 05:49 AM UTC
Mineral spirits it work,usualy faster the Thinner evaporate better is,but just becose you have less chance the thinner leave some stain,many different thinner can works,Withe spirit,turpentine,mineral spirit or Zippo's Fuel,the problem is in every country the same thinner can have a different name,important is can Thin Oils without "eat" the basecoat

I give first a Satin or gloss coat,on a matt surface same color (like Blue on the brand i use) leave stain... ...put the oil on a card board for few minute like this the card absorbe the linen oil,then put the dots and my waiting time depends for how much time i have.. ...the oils dry time is really slow,for me dont change a lot between do it immediately or wait,the must important for me is leave 10-15minute or more the oil on the card board to absorbe the ecxess linen oil,linen oil make the dry time longer and the color less flat,every color and manufacturer have a different coverage and finish

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 04:29 PM UTC
I have to agree with J. Red- put the oils out on some cardboard as this soaks up the oil carrier and lets them dry quicker. A nice gloss surface also helps the paint to move better. In terms of mineral spirits- pretty much any will work with oils. Personally, I prefer odorless or low odor varieties as they are less likely to eat away the paint and/or affect the odd glue join.

I wouldn't leave the oils on the model for long- once I have finished applying the various dots I start blending them. Be careful with bright colors- they can sometimes leave a mark or a stain that is very hard to blend in, particularly if you let it sit on the model for any length of time.

A good rule of thumb is to blend with downward strokes on a vertical or angled surface and in circular motions on horizontal ones.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 04:09 AM UTC
Many thanks for your replies J. Red, Karl! Will try these tips out. Cheers, Tat
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 10:50 AM UTC
This might help:

Oil Paint Rendering.

I use Artist White Spirit or Sansodor. The White Spirit dries faster.

This video covers the technique. He just does not put the oil paints on cardboard to absorb excess linseed oil.

Adam Wilder Oil Dot
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 05:51 PM UTC
Thanks Ivan!
 _GOTOTOP