_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Humbrol Paints
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi All my LHS just got Stocked with HUmbrol Paints, I have looked around but wht paints do I need for Commonwealth Shermans and Modern USN aircraft
TankManNick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
I assume you mean the enamels? I'm sure others can chime in but off the top of my head I've used Matt 30, 86 greens, black, 120 mid stone for desert and my favourite Humbrol colour ever (lol) - Matt 29 Dark Earth.

Note that I've never found a good Humbrol for olive drab - have to use a US company for that - Modelmaster!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
i like also the 159 Kaki-Drab
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
The hobby shops in Tucson Arizona USA have stopped stocking Humbrols. We have heard they have stopped making them. I use them for 54mm military miniatures. ....Yes...some people still use enamels!
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The hobby shops in Tucson Arizona USA have stopped stocking Humbrols. We have heard they have stopped making them. I use them for 54mm military miniatures. ....Yes...some people still use enamels!

I just got a color chart leaflet from the Humbrol rep in the US and they didn't mention anything about not making the enamels anymore. Humbrol also have an Acrylic paint line.

Humbrol US
TankManNick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i like also the 159 Kaki-Drab

Oh yes I've used that for troops. Not sure I've used it any vehicles. What would be a good application? (For some reason I'm thinking 'trucks', or rather, since we ARE talking British here, 'lorries'!)
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 05:34 PM UTC
They surely continue making Humbrol Enamels, there are even some new colors appearing one or two a year. Maybe there is some product safety regulation for shipping or healthcare why it cannot be sold in the US anymore.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 06:44 PM UTC
I read it's a problem with shipping due to new Royal Post regulations. But Humbrol just released a whole new line of German aircraft colors that are quite good.

Use H-26 Khaki for British battledress. It was nearly an exact match of the WWII uniforms I collected. H-155 is a good World War II olive drab, and H-66 is a good postwar Olive Drab. Don't give me too this or that, When painting fuel cans in the army I matched the color and it blew my very little mind. Be careful with H-30 as it was recently reformulated to more closely match the RAF color and H-67 Tank Grey has become MUCH darker and is now only useful for rubber not for WWII tanks. But it does kind of match NATO tricolor black.

It's my main paint and for colors used a lot I even buy it by the box (six tins)
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
i find n h.66 the strait from the ti too dark and gray for a scale model,to close the original,good if you have to paint a real tank!!...but with little of h.61 is perfect,the h 159 i use for same uniform

Me to i use Humbrol Enamel 95% of the time,i try to switch to Acriliycs but i dont like it
 _GOTOTOP